Chapter 66

SO COLD

SO COLD

The heavy rain poured relentlessly from grumbling and grouchy clouds, the misty air was cold and wet, and the sky was a mesmerising oil painting of bruised purple shades and swirls of the darkest blues crafted by a light hand and a paintbrush with the finest tip. The SUV stilled outside a familiar café on the high street. I said goodbye to Svetlana who peeled away from the curb and left, a dim set of lights in the distance, tearing around a corner, gone.

The bell tinkled delicately above me as I entered Millie's café, shaking my head like a wet dog, spraying the walls with spits of water and throwing an apologetic grimace at Millie who caught me. She was disapproving and displeased, raising an eyebrow, but nonetheless scuttling behind the counter to prepare a free mocha for me and a blueberry muffin fresh from the oven. I thanked her as I slipped into the seat opposite Cole and asked after James' health and well-being.

"He's calmer after our talk," he disclosed, swallowing the last of his coffee and sweeping his gaze across my features and questioning. "How are you feeling? I'm sorry for leaving you."

"Better," I said with a smile, "and it's fine. If I were in your position and it was Irvin, I'd do the same. Chief Michaels came and spoke to me. He's put me in contact with a woman, Annalise Bullard. She works for the NCA and is part of the Witness Protection programme. She wants me to join and meet with her sometime later this week to discuss it further. If I agree to their conditions, I'll be moved and relocated with my family. I won't be able to stay in touch and I won't know how long the new life will last for. I'll have a change of name, a new identity, a new passport. I...I don't know if I should pass this opportunity up. The officers can keep Seth safe. Isiah safe. My father won't be able to reach them."

His expression froze and his tensed body was angled forward slightly, and then indifference etched itself across his face and he leaned back and away, cool and detached, he glanced away, spoke quietly. "Go for it." He concealed his emotions with apathy, detaching from his feelings, despite this I knew he was upset. This would be the final nail in the coffin. Our relationship would be over. It was a clean cut knife between the two of us.

"Cole," I reached for his hand.

He pulled his arm back.

Millie set down the steaming mug and plate with the muffins with a heavy thud. Tension slid onto a chair, tearing apart the blueberry muffins with greedy hands, eyes alight with mirth, amused by the theatrics. I blinked. Millie returned behind the counter. The muffins remained untouched. A sigh escaped my mouth. I spoke. "I said, I was thinking about it. It's not a definite decision. I haven't packed my clothes up in a suitcase. This isn't a conversation that'll lead to a final goodbye."

"You need to be with your family and you need them to be safe. I understand. You don't need to explain yourself to me. I'm not going to stop you from leaving." He straightened out his shoulders and locked gazes with me, said sincerely. "I love you, Shay. I've never felt this way about another woman. Your safety and happiness means the world to me and I'll support whatever decision you make."