Chapter 14

I knock on the front door of my dads huge house. Jeong opens the door. "Ah Faith. Mr. Shawn. Your father is waiting in his den." He says letting us in, taking our coats since its fairly warm in the house due to the cold air outside. Shawn and I head to my dads den. "Ah. My Daughter." He greets. "What's so important that you had to interrupt our date?" I ask. "Please sit." He says from behind his cegar, not even acknowledging my question.

I take a seat on the couch across from him and Shawn follows. "Shawn. My boy. How has it been?" He asks with a smile. His wrinkles pulling out next to his eyes. "Great sir. Your daughter makes me very happy." He says confidently. I feel my face heat up. "Ah. That's great to hear." My dad blows out the smoke. "Dad. The important thing." I interrupt. He raises a gray eyebrow. "Yes. The important thing." He leans forward and takes a sip of what I'm guessing is an alcoholic beverage.

"Do you remember what I told you when we last talked?" He asks becoming the serious man I've known since I was a fetus.

"Of course I do." I cross my legs. "Your mother has fully contacted me and wants to see you this weekend." My heart stops and I'm unsure if I heard correctly. "What?" I uncross my legs and lean in. Making sure I'm getting every word that leaves his mouth. "You're mother wants to see you this weekend." He says. My eyes widen. "Really?" I ask. He nods. I look at Shawn then back at my dad. "But..." I bite my lip. "What did she say?" I ask.

He looks up at the ceiling as if thinking. "I was surprised actually. She sounded nervous.. And she asked how I was doing." He pauses and takes another sip of his drink. "We talked for a while. Then she asked if you were fine. I told her, yes. And then she asked if she could see you and I said when. She said the end of next week and I agreed." My eyebrows knit.

"Don't you think that it would have been better if you would have had talked to me before you answered her?" I ask. He looks at me confused and takes a big huff of his cegar. "Look Faith." He blows out the smoke. "I honestly don't get why you're not happy." His face serious. I shrug. "Like you said! All those things you said when we talked that day." I pause. "I think you were right." I say. He then frowns.

"I think this confrontation with her can be solved." He says. And for a second I thought I saw sadness in his eyes. But I know that my mind is probably just playing tricks on me. "What if..." I think about my word choices. "What if I don't want anything to be solved because I'm fine without her." I finally say, I don't realize that I'm close to tears. And its because everything I'm saying is a lie, I actually want to see my mom.

To find out exactly why she left and why it took her so long to contact us. "Faith. If you don't do it for yourself do it for me." He pleads. And I'm completely surprised by his action. "You're begging me?" I ask. He takes another puff of his cegar. "Faith... I know you look at me as a strong man." I roll my eyes at his words. "But sometimes I can be soft or even need a hug and comfort to cry." Why was he telling me this? Something was completely off.

I take a good look at him, he looks like he's going a bit bald. Possibly from all that stress he puts on himself. His face looked a bit pale. "Dad.. Are you doing okay? You don't look so good." I say, a speck of concern hitting my core. "Y-yeah." He hesitates. "I'm just tired..  That's all." He says. A part of me tells me not to believe him, but the other part of me didn't really care as much to wonder if he was telling the truth.

"I need to use the facilities.." I say standing up and leaving. I rush to the bathroom. I close and lock the door behind me. "Why? Why... Why now?" I sob. My heart aching. I look at myself in the mirror. I looked so weak, and I hated it, I hated it so much. I'm not weak, I need to be strong. I need to be like my father.

**

Shawn's POV

I stare at him in complete shock with what he has told me. "Please don't tell Faith. She can't know just yet. There'll be the right time that she'll find out." He puts out his cegar. "You have to promise me Shawn." He pleads. He was desperate. I nod. "Okay." I say. "You have to take it to your grave." He says. My eyes widen. He was really serious about this secret he was keeping from Faith.