Chapter 59

On a scale of one to ten, she rated this day with a nine. She knew that if she left the group, there would be people who would have started hunting her down. It was basically suicide, and she should have thought twice.

Or thrice.

Snap. The sound was taunting her, triggering something inside her. It threatened to grow every time she flicked her finger, sending soldiers to their death with twisted necks and bent backs. Some end up with heads impaled by roots that jutted out of the ground, proving that the material of their helmets weren't exactly perfect. Are they even helmets?

Her hands felt warm, clenching by her sides as she marched through bodies of bark and leaf. Her brain felt fuzzy, but she didn't feel the energy drain out of her body.

Fear was looking at her, right into her eyes. Fear for what was to happen, fear of what would happen to everyone, fear for herself. She actually felt like she was losing it. Was this how everyone felt when they lost it? When they became what they are today?

She could taste something bitter in her mouth, souring her mood, but sweetening the day as it slowly turned to sundown. Her fingers twitched and moved, and she curled them once again to form fists. She had time to fetch her daggers, but she didn't use them a single time. She felt like everyone's help to improve her physical skills was a waste.

This is a waste, she muttered in her head.

"Dude, since when did you stop talking?"

Kira stopped, the snapping sound coming back, replaying over and over again. She felt relieved; relieved that she heard a voice other than her own. But she was terrified.

Hesitantly, she looked over at the place she heard the voice. Men wearing matching body armor, with visors covering their faces. She bit her lip, feeling the urge to raise her hand and focus her energy on them. Her voice echoed in her mind again, saying encouraging and discouraging words.

And she thought; what would she do? What would the actual her do?

"You're supposed to, I don't know, supervise me or some crap. You're the one who knows what to do. So, what do we do?" the shorter one between the two asks, nudging the other with his gun. Kira looked to the other one, waiting for his response as well, when she felt something.

She tried looking into his mind, something she doesn't normally do, but found out that she couldn't. Something about that mask was blocking her connection.

Nothing came out of the man. He only stared off into the distance, not even bothering to look at his comrade. The man grew annoyed, crossing his arms.

"They said you were one of the Elite. I expected some guy who's all narcissistic and buff," he stated, "Can't believe that you're just some mute guy."

"Which is why you shouldn't talk shit about me. So, shut up," he finally spoke.

"Finally. What are we going to do?"

"What you're going to do is load up that gun and get ready. It's what you should do when you're out in the field. You'll never know what'll happen."

Something about his voice sparked familiarity in Kira, but she didn't have time to think about it when her hand went against her will, raising and swiping in the air, her completing the trick as the shorter one was thrown against a tree. He landed with a thud, following a groan. She was about to end the man's life, when she heard a click. The taller man aimed at her, standing still.

It was scarier than having to kill another person, that's for sure. 

She heard another click and turned to see the second one had risen up, arms trembling as he held his own weapon. The gunshot rang throughout the woods, and Kira splayed her hands in front of her, making the bullet stop in midair. She made it turn and hit him instead, Kira's power making it drill into his helmet and dig into his skull.