106 Date Night: Yuna

Yuna pushed her boyfriend away from her. "Run and find cover!"

Wataru tried to see something in the trees, but the creature pushed off and whirled through the air. He only heard the beating of wings, stared at his girlfriend, nodded vigorously and ran away.

The huntress drew her Beretta and released the safety catch.

"Where are you?!", she screamed.

A hiss reached her ear. From the corner of her eye she noticed a blue glow, and she turned her gaze on it. In the next second she was hit by a beam. An ice beam! She could even feel the cold through her armor. Her left arm was covered by a layer of ice, but she shook the ice crystals off without hesitation.

"Shit, it has a power.", went through her head. She raised the Beretta and shot two bullets in the direction of the monster. A shriek rang out and the creature rose again into the air. Yuna followed the Oni with her gun barrel and fired two more bullets at it. The Oni whirled and rushed toward her.

It looked like a Wyvern. Instead of arms it had wings with which it could glide through the air. Its head sat on a long neck and a long tail fluttered behind it. The creature could be more than five meters long. It opened its throat and gathered energy for another attack. The blue glow reappeared.

The huntress fired three times at its mouth, then she threw herself to the side to escape its freeze ray. An icy corridor appeared behind Yuna. She rolled over on her back and shot five more bullets at the beast. The Oni crashed to the ground, but quickly fought up its way to its feet.

The girl jumped up, drew her knife and rushed to the monster. She pushed herself off the ground and sailed on to the Oni. It struck with its tail and hurled Yuna out into the thicket. The Beretta slipped from her hand when she was hit and clattered beside the monster to the ground. The blue-haired crashed into a tree trunk and sunk to the ground. A loud groan was squeezed out of her.

With pounding steps the Oni rushed towards her. It stood in front of her and was preparing for the next ice beam.

"Crap. I can't do a thing.", thought Yuna annoyed. She hoped that her power would be strong enough to protect her against its.

A cry rang out behind the Oni and the Beretta was fired. The creature turned its head and saw Wataru who fired at it. This was her chance!

The huntress jumped up, ran to the Oni and rammed the tip of her knife into its throat. The creature screamed and turned back to the girl. She yanked on the knife and slit the beast's throat. A gush of blood splashed her face while the creature slumped gasping.

Yuna chopped on the neck of the creature until the head fell to the ground. Breathing heavily she gasped and looked at the beast. It had possessed a power, probably it would have soon become humanoid. Where was the border between a wild beast and a possibly friendly member of the Oni brotherhood?

She wiped the sauce from her face and walked around the Oni to look after Wataru. "Are you okay?", she asked.

Open-mouthed, he stared at her gasping for air and nodded absently. "I guess so."

"I'll take this."

Yuna loosened the cramped hands of her boyfriend around the Beretta and took the gun back. She checked the empty magazine, exchanged it for her spare magazine, locked the weapon and put it back in its holster. She took her sunglasses and put them on her nose.