Chapter 20: Winter is Home

IGNORE ALL ERRORS 

Chapter 20: Winter is Home 

The car ride wasn't long. Five hours at most was all it took for my SUV to turn down Hawkin Road. It was only a little past noon. The familiar land comforted me as the car shook down my pebbled driveway. Only two months ago I was in the house and never imagined my life out of it, but now I feared my return. The house was filled with memories of my parents hosting parties and dinners, while I hid in the playroom. Jace's family lived only a few miles away, off of my family's land. They were the most frequent guests, until middle school started, and I lost vision of Jace's existence. 

The iron gates peeled open at my arrival and I smiled, seeing George at the security booth. 

"Hey George," I called to him. His smile grew as I rolled down the tinted window. His green eyes lightened as his stubby feet stood up, trying to support his overweight belly. The sixty year old man leaned against the window of his booth, letting his hat tip to me. Crumbs littered his chest, but that just made me smile. He was always known for sitting in his booth eating chips and reading the tabloids. 

"It's good to see you out, Miss Winter," George said and dipped his head. Deep wrinkles pierced his forehead. 

"Thanks." I smiled at him and gave one last wave before my driver continued down the path leading toward the brick estate. Large white columns connected the roof to the stone porch. Gleaming white rails circled the front entrance and lead down to the driveway around the stairs.  Marie stood at the top of the steps with an orchard in her hand. 

"Marie," I whispered as I stumbled from the car and rushed up the firm steps. My black sneakers slipped beneath me, but I held my ground and pounded up to my long term nanny. I met her with open arms, dropping my backpack and throwing myself at her. The pot pressed against my back as we embraced. "I've missed you," I gasped in her arms. 

"Oh, darling. The house seems empty without you here," she cooed, stroking my hair with her free arm. My body tensed, but I let that pass quickly. Marie was trying to make me feel welcomed and protect me. It wasn't her fault that she was alone in the house for most of last year. It must have been lonely on a property bigger than some islands. 

"I can only imagine," I murmured, remembering how lonely I felt in the small spaces I had lived in. 

"Come in," Marie said and stepped away. "Connor will bring in your bags." Marie waved to the my driver and he immediately began to lug my bags up the many steps and into the double doors. The glass doors shined through to the blinding white decor of the foyer. Maids hustled through the room as they prepared for my return, along with Carl's. I hadn't seen this many people working in the house in awhile. 

"Is Carl here yet?" I asked, peering around. The smell of lunch roamed through the estate. I recognized the smell as shrimp scampi. My favorite since I was a little girl. 

"Well actually, he's in the back with a few friends." Marie spoke with caution, as if careful to avoid an outburst from me. 

"He invited guests?" I spat. Marie was right. She knew that I hated when he brought his boarding school friends here. They didn't even live near us. They all got chartered planes and helicopters to take them wherever they want to go whenever. It disgusted me how often they used their money for selfish desires. Even though a year ago I was the same way. But then the car accident happened and Carl and I promised never to bring friends to the house again. At least, I had promised. 

"Yes, he told me that he didn't enjoy being here without anyone to keep him company, so I figured that it was alright if he brought some of his friends to stay here for a few days." Marie began to walk with me to the kitchen, placing the flower on the table next to the front door. "You must be so hungry from the long drive. Lydia has prepared your favorite," she distracted.