Chapter 16

*************Tristan*****************

“How long ago did they leave?” Tristan asked walking toward the exit and reaching into his pockets for his keys.

Tia rushed over to him and put a restraining hand on his arm. “Whoa, you’re not planning on driving right now, are you?”

“I am. I need to catch up to them,” he replied ignoring the concern in Tia’s face.

“No you don’t. You can talk to Sierra tomorrow.”

“If I don’t speak to her tonight, I will never get another chance.”

“What are you talking about?” Tia took a moment to look closely at him, what she saw made her expression soften. “What the hell happened between you two?” she asked gently.

“Can we do this later?” He felt impatient. He didn’t have time for this. “I need to go after her.”

When he continued to move in the direction of the front door, Tia tightened her grip on his arm. He turned to her with narrowed eyes. Why was she trying to stop him?

She continued to look at him for a long time, seemingly searching for something. He didn’t know what. Finally, she spoke.

“Tristan, listen to me. I know you’ve been drinking and you’re definitely not thinking clearly, but I need you to try really hard to pay attention to what I’m about to say to you. Can you do that?”

He was confused. What could she possible need to say to him that was more important than him going after Sierra? He nodded his head. Tia pulled him away from the front door and the blaring music.

“Sierra is going to kill me, but I don’t care. Keeping her secret is not worth it. There’s no way I’m letting you leave my house in your car so you can go get yourself killed or kill somebody else. And honestly, I’m tired of the games.” She turned to him, her face serious. “Aren’t you guys tired of the games?” she repeated to him as if expecting an answer.

“I don’t know if this is because I’m tipsy or if you’re actually not making sense, but I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Tia took a breath before looking pointedly at her staircase. Then she turned back to him.

“Here’s the deal. I wasn’t exactly telling the truth earlier.”

“Telling the truth about what?”

“Did you really think that I would let Sierra leave my party early?”

It didn’t take long for her words to sink in. His heart got the jolt it needed to reawaken. It pounded away happily inside his chest.

“She’s still here,” he murmured. “Where?” he asked.

“If I tell you, you have to promise to fix this. I don’t want you to upset her.”

“Whatever, I promise. Tell me.

“She’s in my room – ”

Tristan ran up the stairs without waiting for Tia to finish. He heard her call after him, but he wasted enough time already and he didn’t want to wait another second. He took the steps two at a time and was at the top in an instant. 

There were a lot of doors on the second level of the house and he had no idea which one led to Tia’s room. Luckily, it didn’t take long for him to find the room he wanted. The second door he opened revealed a dark room, but the residual light from the party was enough to highlight a body lying on the bed. It took only moments for him to identify Sierra’s pretty purple top and tight black pants. His mouth immediately went dry and his hands itched to touch her. He stepped into the room and closed the door behind him.