Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 14

I helped Alex for the next hour or so, as both of us gave the trainees tips and advice. Alex eventually turned to me. "Well, did you learn any new tricks on your adventure?"

I knew that tone of voice. He was teasing and attempting to keep a straight face. His offhand words were a subtle request as he tried to get me to show off some of the more advanced training tricks for the trainees.

Trainees sometimes began to think that their Group Leader's abilities were at a level that regular group members were simply unable to reach. Often, it only took a few displays by other experienced members to dispel that myth. I grinned at him, my sense of humor stirring at the invitation.

I had picked up quite a few new techniques during my month of wandering. I was far more comfortable around zombies now and knew just how far I could push them before things became dicey. The rule we were given was fifteen meters, although ten meters was acceptable if we were above it.

Most people opted for more distance between them and the deadly creatures if at all possible. My personal safety range was three meters, and, sometimes, I would push that boundary if I was in full control of the situation.

I doubted that Alex was aware of this.

I shrugged out of my backpack and picked up one of the walking sticks that were taller than me. Alex quickly climbed up the ladder to the observation post, glancing between me and his group members in anticipation of the upcoming training lesson.

Once upon a time, I had been as cautious and as scared of close contact with zombies as my group mates had been. As any sane human rightfully was. Back then, fifteen meters had been a cause for concern and six meters was serious.

The events during the last month had driven all fear of zombies out of me. Were they still capable of killing me? Yes. But so was a dog or a bear. While wandering, I had tested my limits and practiced a lot to break up the boredom. Now... now, I knew their limits, and I knew how far I could push them without true risk to myself.

It might be a good thing that Alex didn't know what I had in mind to shock his new trainees.

Without my extra awareness, speed, and stamina, I would not have done it. If I hadn't practiced this very thing numerous times in the last week, I would not have attempted this with more than one zombie.

Alex was going to have a fit by the time I was done.

I grinned as I trotted towards the nearest group of trainees. There were some gasps as I got closer than the prescribed safety zone. This attracted attention from the other two groups as well. I hoped they did not lose track of their zombie in their distraction.

I came up behind the oblivious zombie and tapped it between the shoulder blades with the stick before quickly darting off at an angle. It turned around with a snarl; zombies really did not like to be touched. They would often chase the one who had touched them even if they came within closer range of other targets.

It came after me, and I temporarily lost it in the obstacle course. The four trainees that I had interrupted were not sure what was going on and had gathered beside the fence in the confusion. Alex called them up to the observation post. The whole group could fit up there and still be able to see clearly.

I went to the next group. Those in my way parted with my approach. This zombie was also facing the other way, so I poked it in its side. It was also not impressed with my greeting and came after me. I led it towards one of the posts with a rope tied near the base and leaned down to grab it as I went by. I waited for the zombie to approach as I ignored the whispering from above.

I quickly circled the zombie twice, making it turn more or less on the spot, before running away. I pulled the rope tight around its ankles. Zombies weren't that smart and would usually flail their legs until the rope loosened. If the rope had been tied, it would flail for about a minute before using its hands to tear at the rope. With the rope just looped around its ankles, it would come loose quickly enough. It would be down for about fifteen seconds.

icon lock

Show your support for Crystal Scherer, and continue reading this story

by Crystal Scherer
@CrystalScherer
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... un...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 184 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @CrystalScherer.