Chapter 3 ✔

Edited: 11/05/17

K A T E

It had been two weeks since the incident at the quidditch world cup and it was now my birthday. Hagrid and Dumbledore had stopped by to congratulate me. I was also getting all of my school equipment for the next day when Hogwarts began for the students.

"Hello, Katheryn, dear. Happy 17th birthday!" Albus greeted as he walked through the door. He handed me a box wrapped in a cute white bow. I took it gratefully and thanked him in return.

"Hey, Kat. Haven' seen yer for a while." Hagrid said, passing me a large, poorly wrapped present, but I took took it with a big smile. It's the thought that counts.

"Hello, Professor, Hagrid. It has been a long time hasn't it? Severus is in the living room if you'd like to join him. I'll make us some tea." I beamed as I basically skipped into the kitchen. I absolutely loved my birthday.

Once the tea was done, I brought it in on a tray and placed it on the coffee table in the living room, beside my presents. Snape and Dumbledore were having a conversation about something, but stopped when I had walked in. All three of them smiled at me as I took a seat beside Hagrid. Albus was the first to speak.

"I hope you've had a good birthday so far, Katheryn. Why don't you open your presents? You'll find that most of the things you'll need we've already bought for you, so there's no need to worry."

I smiled and nodded as I reached for the first gift. Unwrapping the the green cover, it revealed two books.

Standard book of spells, grade 6.

Defensive magical theory.

After unwrapping a few more I had a noticeable pile of things:

A Pewter, crystal, telescope, brass scales, three sets of black robes, a pointed hat, one pair of protective gloves and a winter cloak.

There were three presents left to open. There was one with a white bow, a black one -obviously from Snape- and a large, messily wrapped one. I opened Hagrid's first, there were sounds coming from inside and I was curious. When the paper wrapping was gone, it allowed me to see the barn owl in a cage.

"I shall call her Barney." I declared with a wide grin as I peered at the adults in front of me. Hagrid started chuckling, as did Albus.

"A strange choice fer a female barn owl. Bit childish too." Hagrid laughed.

I just smiled: "Thank you, Hagrid. She's a great gift."

Severus' present was next. It was quite hard to get rid of the wrapping, so I used my wandless magic. What? It was a shortcut. After I successfully dismissed the paper, my eyes lay upon a notebook and quill and I looked at Snape questioningly.

"You can enchant the quill to write notes for you in lessons. It'll be useful when your exams start." He answered.

"Thank you, Severus. I shall use it as much as possible."

Finally, I got to the last gift. The one with the white bow, Dumbledore's of course. I slowly pulled on the bow and it came undone. Then, I lifted the lid to reveal a necklace and picked it up in my hand, discovering everything about it.

"It's a time turner, my dear. You can use it to be on time for your lessons. You'll need it to catch up with everyone else in your year." Albus explains.

"Yes, it will be quite helpful. Thanks, professor."

I was still looking at it when Hagrid spoke up.