t w e l v e || the call continued

For someone who is supposed to have all the answers, Nessa doesn't have a clue at how to approach the situation. There's a pregnant pause between the two of them, and she's sure Delilah can sense her hesitation.

"Why is Liam calling you?" Delilah asks again, her voice growing impatient by the second.

"Why do you have Liam's phone?" Nessa responds with a question. "And why are you calling me from it?"

"You didn't answer my question!" Delilah's resorts to yelling.

"You didn't answer mine either," Nessa mutters.

"Liam dropped his phone into a lake, and he told me to go pick up his replacement today while he goes back to class. The phone company recovered almost everything."

Nessa's just a little surprised at how easily she Delilah gives away her reason for having Liam's phone. It doesn't sound like she's lying. At most, she sounds clueless and oblivious to what's happening in her relationship. Nessa wonders if Delilah senses Liam's suspicion of her infidelity.

"So, why is he calling a relationship hotline? Is it about that fight we had over that party last week? I told him I wouldn't go. I didn't go!"

If this were a soccer match, Delilah would be playing defense.

"I'm not allowed to reveal any information, so why don't you ask Liam yourself? I'm sure he's better to talk to than me," Nessa replies, hanging up the phone before Delilah can say anything else.