The Plan

JONATHAN CRANES P.O.V:

I sat on the couch as Paranoia slept soundlessly upstairs. What was wrong with me? I knew what I had to do but failed to do it. I kept a gaze on my phone which sat on the table in front of me. It was such a simple object giving me  tremendous grief. Its not that I had fallen for the girl but that I simply ....cared for her? no.. I don't know what it was that was making me neglect my duties. I had one mission, one simple plan, one phone call that I had to make. Yet something was stopping me from doing it.

Hesitantly I picked up the phone just holding it in my hands. "C'mon Crane.." I mumbled to myself keeping my eyes on the dark phone screen. "Get your crap together..." I thought of Paranoia and all the shit she has already gone through. Her mom, the joker, Arkham, and I was about to be added to that list. Her shit list. But apart of me didn't want to be added. And the part of me that didn't care was slowly dying. I had to make the call before that un-caring part disappeared. I unlocked the phone and as I was about to dial the number I was interrupted by Paranoia's screams from upstairs. "Dammit!" I curse out throwing the phone onto the couch and rushing up the stairs to her room.

"Paranoia?" I stopped right in the entrance of her room observing her. She was sitting up in her bed the dark surrounding her. "Are you alright?" I asked my eyes wide as I observed the room. No intruders...

"Im fine.." she stuttered. "Just a nightmare.." She whispered though it sounded more as if she was talking to herself Telling herself that it wasn't real. Nothings ever real though. I strode to her sitting next to her.

"Want to tell me about it princess?" I sighed out. She shook her head no. "Don't be frightened. Theres no need to be scared.. Nothing to fear but fear itself.." I chuckled lightly placing a hand on her back as lighting stroke from outside making her jump.

"How do you know?" she whispered. her voice seeming so innocent, so fragile, so beautiful and pure like the Gotham rain the poured outside.

"Im an expert in fear. Its my job remember?" I chuckled giving her a peck on the cheek. "Want me to stay with you?" I asked tilting my head.

She slowly nodded a yes.

"Alright let me just finish up a uh.." I trailed off trying to think. "Business call and ill come and lay down with ya." she nodded a yes before laying back down.

I took one last look at her. Observing her and her perfection before retreating downstairs. Hesitantly I once again picked up the phone and dialed the number. "Hello.." he answered with quickly.

"Hey its me." I replied.

"Ah Dr. Crane.."  He slowly said each word. "I assume you have the girl?" he quickly and swiftly said.

"Yeah I've got her.." I trailed off. "No harms going to come to her right?" I questioned him.

"Of course not!" He was quick to answer. "Your not telling me you actually care about her do you?" he chuckled lightly on the other end.

"No..." I lied. Or did I? I don't know... "And you'll give me what you promised?" I asked pushing my thoughts away.

"Yes, Yes, yes, everything you asked for.. " he tailed off. "Your medicine, your money, your new position at Westham Asylum, etc.." he trailed off listing the things I asked for in return.

"Great.." I half whispered. "I'll bring her by. The usual place?" I quickly asked.