one [prefect potter]

[three years later]

"Oi James! Prongs!"

James Potter turned his head to see a grinning Sirius jogging up to him, dodging past a group of first-years milling around the crowded platform with their parents. His cloudy grey eyes were sparkling with mischief, his teeth glinting in the golden sunlight.

"Padfoot!"

James grinned as well, glad to see his best friend after so long. James had spent most of the summer on holiday in America with his parents, so he hadn't been able to hang out much with the other marauders. Sirius, on the other hand, had been stuck at home with his poor excuse of a family.

"Glad to see you, pal. Where's dear ol' Moony? And that idiot Wormtail?" Sirius asked cheerfully.

"Right behind you, git."

Remus Lupin appeared, looking weary but still smiling. His eyes were bloodshot and rimmed with shadows, and there were several fresh scars on his cheekbones and arms. There'd been a full moon the previous night, but thank Merlin the worst was over. Peter looked as in awe of them as ever, his eyes wide and his mouth slightly open as usual.

"Bloody hell, I can't wait to get back," James exclaimed enthusiastically as the four of them clambered onto the train, roaming the place for an empty compartment and smirking deviously at the terrified first-years. At the same time, James kept a sharp eye out for a certain head of silky dark hair. His stomach fluttered at the thought of seeing Brooklyn again. She'd been invading his thoughts the entire summer break. Sure, there were gorgeous American girls keeping him occupied, but he'd be lying if he said that his entire holiday hadn't been spent thinking about her. Merlin, he'd missed her smile. Maybe this would be the year she finally realised her goddamn feelings for him and just went out with him.

"Looking for Jones, eh Prongs?"

"Obviously." James sighed. They stuck their heads inside another compartment, but it was only Lily Evans, Alice Fortescue and Marlene McKinnon.

"Ello Evans." Sirius smirked. "Marlene. Alice."

Lily looked up with a frown. "Ugh. Its you."

James slipped into the compartment, gesturing for the other marauders to come in.

"Sorry girls, but all the other compartments are full. Guess we'll just have to crash here then," he exclaimed cheerfully, plopping down in the empty seat. Lily scowled at him. "Liar," she mumbled. "We saw plenty of empty compartments on our way here. You just want to bother Brook again."

James pretended to be insulted by the mere suggestion that Brooklyn, the love of his life didn't like having him around. He gave a small gasp of indignation. "Bother her? I don't bother her. She enjoys my company, doesn't she lads?"

The other boys nodded dutifully.

James cocked his head to one side. "Speaking of my darling Jones, where is she?"

Marlene rolled her eyes. "Getting changed. She should be back now. Don't get your knickers in a twist, Potter. I guarantee she won't be all that pleased to see you."

James scoffed. "She loves me."

"Who does?"

A girl appeared in the doorway, wearing Gryffindor robes over her standard white shirt and pleated skirt. Her red and gold striped tie hung loosely beside a gleaming, shiny new Prefects badge which was displayed proudly on her chest. Her soft dark hair spilled over her shoulders and her startling emerald green eyes were like jewels against her pale skin. She was lovely. James swore his heart stopped for a second. Even after all these years, she never failed to take his breath away.

He instantly sat up a little straighter, running a hand through his hair.

"Ello, love. So nice to finally see you." he exclaimed. Her gaze landed on him, and he swore he melted a little on the inside.

Brooklyn, however, groaned. "Oh. It's you. For Merlin's sake, what do you want now, Potter?"

"You." He smiled charmingly.

"Piss off."

"That's not very nice," Sirius remarked, shaking his head in sarcastic disapproval. Brooklyn sighed, sitting down beside James Potter with a murderous look on her usually cheerful features.

"I couldn't care less."

"So how was your summer then, love?" James asked conversationally, leaning in closer to Brooklyn, his elbows propped up on his knees. She shrugged.

"Just fine, I guess."

"Brilliant." James eyes lit up as he caught sight of something. "Hang on. I see you've got a Prefect's Badge there."

"So?" She asked cautiously and he smirked, reaching down into his pocket to fish around for something. Finally, he found whatever it was he'd been looking for and pulled it out, with the same air and demeanor of a magician pulling out a rabbit from his hat.

"Aha. Here it is." He proudly held out a badge similar to the one pinned on Brooklyn's robes. It glinted in the sunlight streaming in through the windows, shiny and nearly blinding. Sirius leaned forward in shock.

"Bloody hell, mate. You, a prefect? Unacceptable. Unbelievable. I'm going to write to your parents and request that they disown you right this instance."

"It's the end of the world," Remus mumbled, not looking up from the book he was buried in. Peter stared at James with a mix of envy and amazement. Brooklyn however, looked absolutely livid. "You're joking. You're bloody joking. Please tell me you're joking. Please tell me that the badge really belongs to Remus and this is all just some stupid joke."

Remus shot James a smug look, causing the bespectacled boy to scowl at his friend crossly.

"Oi! What does Remus have that I don't?" He asked in indignation and Brooklyn rolled her eyes. "Oh, I dunno, humbleness, brains, a sense of responsibility, manners—"

"Alright, alright, I get it," He whined. "Awww c'mon Jones. It's fate. Destiny."

Brooklyn folded her arms in disbelief. "There must be some sort of mistake. Nobody in their right minds would make you a prefect, Potter!"

"I always knew Dumbledore was a little cuckoo in the head," Marlene mumbled. James chuckled, slipping the badge back into the pocket of his jeans where it would be safe.

"Don't be upset, Jones. Just think of all the fun we'll have! Attending meetings together, telling off the icky first-years, giving detentions to Slytherins, patrolling the corridors alone together at night, getting married," James said dreamily, going out of topic, and Brooklyn smacked his shoulder.

"Enough."

"You're excited. I can tell."

"About excited as I would be if I were to be fed to a group of vicious flesh-eating mermaids."

"That's the spirit!" He exclaimed cheerfully, lazily putting his arm around her. She smacked it off her shoulder, sighing.

She had a feeling this was going to be a long year.