Chapter Twenty-five

Here it is picking up where the last chapter left off. Song is Take Me Home by Lisbeth Scott and Nathan Barr. I remember hearing it off of True Blood in the second season when Sookie was in her grandma's room. Well he song just kinda stuck with the scene in which Jake in his parents room. Hope Yall like the RWBY picture of Ruby Rose to the right. Also dedicating this chatper to ladyafyon for... just being awesome :)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jake

It was only a few minute drive to the house that is now mine. Then it was like everything just sped up. Maybe it was numbness or focus blending together? That wasn’t a thought that would matter right now. There was light chatter on the way there. No one really said anything to me. Danny stayed by my side while we sat in the back of Jimmy’s car while he sat up front with Lillian. Everyone else was pretty much in the van with Charles behind us.

My Grandmother didn’t ask about coming along even though it wouldn’t have been a problem. She didn’t claim to want anything either. Even though I kept asking lightly.

So when we got to the house at the end of the street which another street crossed in front of another set of houses. Odd that I never quite noticed that detail before. It looked quiet and dark. I knew my grandma and I had to run through a process of turning things off at the house because there would be no way to pay for both houses at the same time. So it just made sense that way.

Memories did not coming flooding back in a rush when I saw it. It was like a numbness but not. My emotion at the moment really was confusing me at first. Even that feeling went numb too. Or maybe I just got stronger. 

At the front door my hand did not shake at the door knob with the key. Everyone else kind of hung back to give me space. I appreciated that too. If it meant for me to break down, they did not need to see any more of that. Once inside the front door I smelled the stale air. Everything was just as it always had been. Dust settled on a lot of objects from what I could see.

“You guys don’t have to worry about taking off your shoes. Its been awhile since anyone has been in here.”

It was also slightly a little dark so Danny switched on the light. He looked a little surprised that the lights still worked. It must have been such a natural thing for him to do. Something else I noted about him is he turned on lights as went through his house. Apparently he could be pretty blind in the dark. That was something we kept on here. My family and I were never big television watchers anyway. Everything else was shut off. Gosh I had to learn in such little time.

“The gas, water, and of course the cable’s been shut off,” I explained to Danny.

Danny just nodded at me while pretending to not watch me.

I walked through the living room not seeing memories of the house because that could lead to tears which would only lead to concerning Danny some more.

“You think you could hang back?” Maybe my words sounded harsher than intended.

Danny flinched, looked concerned, and then asked me if it was really ok. 

I nodded to him while I walked forward into the kitchen while his eye’s followed me. Then I moved by the laundry room which was about as clean as it was last I saw it. When I came back into the living room Danny continued to watch me. Finally I came into the hallway out of his eye sight. I didn’t bother turning on the lights. I felt like a ghost in the house. Everything was so quiet and I was always light on my feet.

The first door to my left was my bathroom. My grandmother had been here to bring my personal needs. I could only tell because it looked like someone was in a hurry here. It had to be the double sink I really liked since the first day we moved here.