34

The next morning I was woken up to shouting and stomping so I grabbed my sweater and headed outside. Bucky was coming out of his room as well.
"Do you hear that?," I asked walking towards him.
"Yeah."
We went down the hall and headed to the part of the building we made into a gym. I could hear what they were saying clearly now.
"Where is she?" "We need to leave immediately!"
I went through the double doors and saw men and women running around getting things together, and weapons ready.
"Where the hell have you been?" Fury shouted at us from the other side of the room.
"What do you mean where have we been? What's going on?," I shouted back walking up to him.
"I had someone go get you. They're starting to move, we have to go get them now!"
"Well obviously no one was sent." I walked over to the weapons table and geared up. "Run through the plan with me one more time."
"We are going in to take out the guards. You are going to go in beforehand and get all of the individuals together and stop them from using their abilities."
"Sounds good." I looked up to see Bucky looking at me. "What's wrong?"
"Are you going to be ok?"
"What do you mean?"
He stepped closer to me. "You're going to be around all of those people. Are you going to be able to handle it?"
My heart pained. "Yeah, I'll be ok."
He nodded. "Be careful."
I smirked. "Always am."
"Della! Are you ready!?," Fury bellowed.
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, don't have an aneurysm."
I took off. Once I was inside the room where the mutants were being held I counted all eight of them. They were all sitting together, waiting. I immediately turned off all of their abilities and stood at the door.
"Who the hell are you," the little girl named Suzy asked.
"I'm here to take you guys to a safe place," I threw the little girl a look.
"Maybe we don't want to be saved!" the guy named Jack yelled and threw his hand out at me.
"Ahhhh! Oh! Ahhh! You're hurting me!," I laughed then turned serious. "I turned your abilities off dumbass!"
He got angry and tried to take a run at me but I froze him in place and turned him around so that he would run at the wall. I rolled my eyes. What is taking these guys so long?
"I remember you," I heard someone whisper. It was Garrett.
"Yeah, me too. You were working for Valentín then."
He flinched when I spoke his name. He still had that effect on us, even after death.
"Are you really here to save us?" the younger man named Steven asked.
"Yeah."
They were silent for awhile until they heard the gunshots.
"He's gonna kill us!," Vanessa screamed.
"Who?," I yelled.
"Fernando!"
"Who the hell is that!"
"He's the one who captured us. He runs this place!"
Just then a man with buzzed cut hair, thick mustache, and a bloodied shirt came through the door. He shot his gun off at me, but using super speed I was able to dodge it and disarm him. I had him in a headlock when a group of men came in after him. His henchman. They pointed guns at every person in this room, including me. I let go of the guy and zoomed around the room to disarm all of the guards and knocked them all out.
"Impressive," Fernando replied fixing me with a look. "What do you want?"
"I want these people out of your grasp and free."
He chuckled. "Not going to happen, Ružový."
My heart stopped. "What?"
"I know who you are. We all do. Valentín told us who you are and showed us what you are. A killer. A beautiful monster."
I zoomed up to him and grabbed him by the throat. "That's not who I am!"
"No? From what I've seen, you could be so much better."
I threw him down. "That's not who I am!"
"One hundred and one. You have killed one hundred and one people. With my help, you can do more."
I wailed. "Shut the fuck up!" I punched him in the face.
"It would be an honor. If you made me. One hundred and two." I zoomed around the room and grabbed Garrett by the hand, receiving his power, and I took Fernando out. I screamed again. And again. I grabbed fist gulls of my hair and clawed at my skin. I have to get out of here!
"Why didn't you kill him?"
I turned around to see who had said it. It was the little boy named Jackson. Using Garrett's power I took them out one by one. After that, I went over and took each and every one of their abilities. I could feel my skin thrumming after that. I could see my skin pulsating from all of their abilities. Nick Fury is so dead. I zoomed out of that place, passing by still armed guards. I disarmed and knocked each of them out. No one came to back me up. No one came to help me. I was alone. I went back to the building and found Nick Fury sitting down. Waiting. I grabbed him by the throat and decked him in the nose. "Why didn't you come after me!" I noticed Bucky was being restrained. I punched him again. "Why!" I threw him to the ground. I looked around to see the rest of the team just sitting about. They looked away, shame written on their faces.
"We wanted to see... How well you would do... On your own," Fury spat out some blood. "We wanted to see how well you would handle a mission on your own."
I looked at the group. "Thanks for the backup." I zoomed over to Bucky and undid the restraints and took him out of there. I got us in a truck and we drove off.
I was fuming. "Did you know!"
"No! I tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen! I tried."
I sped up. "I can't fucking believe this!" I pulled over once we were at a good distance away from the building. I got out of the truck, fell to my knees and screamed. I held all of this anger and pain inside, it was bound to be let out sometime. I looked in my pocket for my knife. I needed relief from all of this madness clawing inside of me. When I had it in my hand though Bucky came and grabbed it from me.
"Stop!" He took my face into his hands. "Take deep breaths! You are not there anymore!"
"You weren't there! You didn't hear what he said!," I sobbed.
"Tell me! Tell me what he said!"
I started to cry. "One hundred and one people."
"What?"
"I have killed one hundred and one people, Bucky!"
He stood silent.
"He called me a killer, a monster! That's what I am. That's what everyone keeps telling me."
"You aren't any of those things! You are not a monster. When I see you, I see a young woman with a good heart. Valentín made you do all of those things! It was killed or watch everyone you love to be killed!"
"I couldn't even save a life! He was always watching me or someone always was. If I didn't. He would have taken what was left of my memories. I was so selfish!"
"No, no, no. You were just trying to avoid the pain that came with that machine. I know what it's like to have your body taken over and wiped clean." He hugged me then. "I'm sorry for what happened. We can leave if you want. Go away."
I shook my head. "We'll never be able to leave. They'll always be tracking us, we'll always be looking behind our backs."
"What do you want to do then?"

*Steve's POV*
"I told you this was a bad idea! I told all of you!," I shouted.
"Maximoff! Go after her!" Fury yelled across the room at Pietro.
"No!" Pietro shook his head.
"That is an order!"
"She can handle herself. That's what you told us!"
Everyone was mad. At themselves and at Nick. I can't believe we listened to him. That small chance at gaining Della's trust back was extinguished.
"You lost our team's most valuable player, Fury," Tony said with a shake of his head. We gathered our stuff and started to head out.
"Let's go get those citizens. Then we'll head home," I told everyone.
They all nodded and followed after me.
"Captain! What do you think you're doing!" Fury yelled after me. "She obviously wasn't emotionally ready. if anyone is to blame here its-."
"You! It's your own fault!"
We left Nick there.

*Della's POV*
We went back to the jet instead and flew back to the tower. Where else were we going to go? Vision was there when we entered, he saw the look on our faces and didn't bother asking us any questions. I knew he would let Tony know though that I was here. After settling in I told Bucky that I needed some fresh air so I took off. I was so out of it, I couldn't feel anything outside or inside. I wound up at a tattoo shop through my haze of guilt. I went inside and took a seat.
"One hundred and one armband tattoos?"
Without questioning why the artist began his work. Through the haze of numbness, I barely felt the pain. It would serve as a daily reminder to help people like me. After the tattoos I went home to wallow in my pain. I cut my hair shorter than it already was, and in a bout of sadness I wreaked havoc upon my room. Afterwards, I didn't want to go back to sleep, so I went down to the gym to train with my new abilities. I locked all of the doors to the gym so no one would disturb me.
I tried out the spellcasting power first. In a language I didn't know before, looking in a mirror, I asked for my hair to turn black. Unknowingly to me, so did my eye color. Next, I used the cloaking skill on the bottom half of my body so it looked like only my upper half was visible. I already knew my senses had enhanced, I could see every detail, smell things you can't usually smell like fear, hear things like Tony's machines buzzing in the floors below us, taste the blood that was on my tongue and feel my pulse thrum through my body. With both of my hands I formed a small bubble and let it fly towards the weight set. With great satisfaction, I watched it pick up the one pound weight. With air control I could cause a small gust of wind. I couldn't practice much with the thievery, pain, and sleep inducement abilities so I kept on testing the boundaries on the other ones. By the end of it, I had been able to set off bubbles filled with electricity, and or filled with air pockets. I was about start working out when I heard someone trying to open the doors. I cloaked myself entirely and stepped towards to the other exit. From there I zoomed up to my room. The Avengers were just coming back from South America. The enhanced group right behind them, unconscious. Probably on their way to the Hulk Cage. They also brought Fernando with them. He's gonna have unpleasant dreams tonight. I looked over to see The Avengers coming through the doors. They looked pretty messed up. I crept slowly to my room.
"Do you think she's still here?" Steve asked aloud. I stopped dead in my tracks.
"Vision said she was here so she should be. We'll see in the morning," Clint walked towards the couch and laid on it.
"What if she isn't?" Steve stressed while taking off his gear.
"Well I dare you to knock on her door and wake her up," Tony laughed heading up to his room.
Steve shook his head and instead went into his room. The twins lingered.
"Is she in there?" Pietro whispered.
"I don't know. She's blocking me," Wanda whispered back. They went into their separate rooms. Natasha left and so did Thor, leaving me behind. I crept into my mess of a room and lied down on the cold floor. I grinned. Oh, they'll see me alright. They'll see the new me.