Chapter Ninety "For Miss Edgehill"

I used the back staircase so that the only ones coming down the main stair would be Leah and Owen. I could merge with the guests from further in the house and make my way to the hall, greeting as I came through. I giggled a bit, that awkward scene at Leah's door and how I would be anticipating seeing them descend the stairs together.

"Margaret!" someone squealed my name as I came around the corner. Lucy was making her way to me with Patience in tow. I had never seen anyone lead Patience before, yet there they were and both smiling.

"Hello, Lucy," I managed when we were close enough to speak in a natural tone, but any other words were cut off by the tight hug she gave me.

"You have done wonderfully," she said spinning me with her, "Patience was telling me that you put this all together! Once Arthur and I are settled, you must help me with a party!"

"Oh," I stammered, "I had lots of help," I grinned looking at Patience, "Everyone had a hand in this."

"We helped, but it was mostly your doing," Patience smiled gingerly at me, "just look at it, Margaret!" I followed her line of sight leading into the hall; the ribbons and flowers were flowing down the banister and adorning each doorway. Flowered wreaths hung on every sconce. I smiled to myself as I finally took the time to see what we accomplished. As if she could read my thoughts Patience whispered in my ear, "This was you, Margaret. You did beautifully!"

I felt a warmth bubbling through me and I could not contain my smile. This was what I needed. I needed to be with my family and friends, being useful . . . having a purpose to clear my mind. I watched as Lucy pulled Patience along again as they headed towards the kitchen. I heard some question regarding pudding and figured that Lucy must have wanted to see what would be served. With Arthur and Lucy back in Somerset, this might be a regular occurrence. I'd have real sisters, I thought. I bit my lip as I shook my head and continued making my way to the main hall.

There were far more people than I expected for such a short notice. It made me happy though, Leah would see what she meant to us. I noticed Freddie and Arthur were also making rounds, greeting our guests. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn chatting with some young gentlemen. I had to say hello, I had not seen them since Jonathon and Emily's wedding after all. "It is so good of you to come," I welcomed, squeezing their hands in mine.

"Margaret," Mrs. Vaughn effused, "Don't you look all grown! Do you remember our nephews, Hugh and Louis Whittock?"

I turned to acknowledge the young men, "I'm very pleased to meet you," I said. They looked a bit familiar but I could not place them. My face must have betrayed me.

"Come now, Harriet," Mr. Vaughn chided, "they haven't seen each other in at least five years."

My eyes grew wide remembering Emily's cousins that used to torment us whenever they visited. "Oh, I do remember," I nodded as images of muddy frogs came to mind, "it has been some time."

Mr. Vaughn exhaled loudly, "When your brother came and explained that you were having this party for your friend and she didn't know many in our area, Harriet went and fetched these two." His wife looked very pleased with herself as the two boys whispered something to each other. Mr. Vaughn however, gave me an apologetic shrug.

"Well, thank you," I said trying to move on to another group quickly, "I'm sure Leah will appreciate having some other young people around." I turned from them before I closed my eyes and shook my head. Freddie must have said the same thing to everyone he invited. That explained the rather full house. I'm not sure if I should thank him or wallop him. I guess that will depend on Leah and if she has a lovely time or not.

Reginald cleared his throat loudly from the top of the stairs, gathering everyone's attention. "Presenting Miss Leah Edgehill," he announced. He stepped back as Owen and Leah began to descend the stairs. Time seemed to slow as I watched the pair. Leah looked nervous at all of the unfamiliar faces so I tried a little wave so she would notice me. That garnered a smile of relief. Owen leaned towards her; he must have said something because her smile broadened and a touch more pink colored her cheeks. I heard a few whispers of "so lovely" as well as "such a handsome couple."

I stood back and watched as our guests flocked to meet the newly debuted Miss Edgehill. I was feeling pleased with myself when I remembered the suffocating effect it had on me and I tried to make my way to Leah, to escort her to somewhere with breathing room as her mother had done with me. By the time I reached the center where Leah should have been, she was not there, neither was Owen. I climbed a few stairs so I could look out over the crowd and then I spotted them, making their way towards the quartet.

Music slowly began to fill the room and the guests moved to create a dancing area. I watched as Owen bowed to Leah and she curtsied to him. Soon they were gliding across the floor and it all seemed like a dream to me, so very perfect. One by one, other couples joined the dancing, including Freddie and Patience, followed quickly by Arthur and Lucy. I felt myself flush as something bittersweet overcame my happiness, realizing that I was yet again alone as I watched my family celebrate.

Everyone was watching Leah and she looked to be in a world of her own. I quietly skirted around her audience and made my way to the kitchen. Charlotte and Mr. Nassar were putting the final touches on the trays and hardly noticed me. "Is everything all right?" Charlotte asked when I grabbed a cloak.

"Oh yes," I smiled, "it's wonderful. They look so happy! I'm just a bit warm . . . there's so many people . . . so I'm going to step out for a moment." She gave me a skeptical look but her attention was called back by Mr. Nassar thankfully. "Come Jasper," I called getting the dogs' leads, "Come Alice, let us go for a quick walk." As Charlotte and Mr. Nassar began taking the trays to the dining room, the dogs and I slipped out into the oncoming night.