nine: notes

Chapter Nine

James yawned as he rested his chin in his hands, pushing the bridge of his glasses further up his nose. Up at the front of the classroom, Professor Binns chattered on aimlessly, something about troll wars and whatnot. About 70% of the class had already dozed off, and the others kept glancing at their watches, wishing for time to speed up so they could escape the hell that was History of Magic. James didn't really mind this class though. After all, it wasn't like he even paid attention. Sometimes, he even found himself looking forward to History of Magic, because it was the most relaxing and de-stressing period of all, and it also meant that he could catch up on his sleep. And, the fact that Brooklyn Jones sat right in front of him was also a plus.

She looked as lovely today as ever, he noted, tilting his head slightly to admire the back of her for the umpteenth time. She was one of those girls that people never got tired of looking at, and James knew that he never would.

He loved her dark hair, how it sometimes looked like liquid chocolate under the sun, but was mostly ebony, and how stray stands of hair almost always fell into her face without her noticing, causing him to itch to brush them back for her. And even though he couldn't see them right now, he also thought about how he loved her eyes, green like the prettiest of emeralds, and constantly sparkling with amusement like she was on the verge of laughing. That was another thing he loved, her laugh. Sometimes sarcastic, sometimes gentle, but mostly joyful and bright. Her beauty was so natural and innocent, not unrealistically stunning or caused by layers of makeup. Not fake. She was just Brooklyn, and she was gorgeous. Looks, personality and all. In fact, if there was anything that he loved more than her looks, it was definitely her personality.

James looked away reluctantly. She somehow always managed to turn him into an undeniable sap, moony-eyed and cheesy and excessively sentimental.

Sometimes, if he got too dreamy, Sirius would scoff at him and insist that he was loosing his manliness. Usually, in times like those, James would ponder the thought, then end up drinking a whole bottle of firewhiskey and then laying in bed the whole day nursing a hangover, because deep down inside, he knew Sirius was right. Brooklyn had too much of an effect on him, and she had no idea at all.

In front of him, she turned her head slightly to rest her cheek on her hand, and he'd liked her long enough to know that she only did this when she was on the verge of dozing off. He got an idea. Pulling out a piece of spare parchment, he hastily scrawled out a quick note.

Feeling sleepy, love? -JP

He carefully folded it up into a paper airplane and levitated it towards her with his wand. It landed softly in front of her, and he smiled slightly, waiting for her reply. She sat up, unfolding it. Unfortunately, her back was to him, so he couldn't see her reaction, but nevertheless, he was pleased when she picked up her quill and started to scribble out a response instead of crumpling it up and throwing it back to his face like she sometimes did. Usually those were the ones that consisted of him flirting or asking her out. But ever since that day in the hospital wing when he'd told her the secret about Remus and their animagi and she hadn't been appalled or angry, she'd gotten much closer with him and the other marauders, especially Remus. James didn't mind sharing her, seeing as he was one step closer to making Brooklyn his. He'd even like to think of them as friends now.

A few seconds later, a folded piece of paper landed on his desk.

How could you tell? PS, I'm sorry the paper is just folded into two now. Not everyone knows how to make a paper airplane. PSS, don't call me love. -B

The corners of his mouth tugging up even more, he hurriedly responded.

Because I just know you so well, Jones. Like I've said it, it's fate. And how on earth do you not know how to fold a paper airplane? PS, maybe I'll stop calling you that if you go out with me. -J

Waiting until Binns wasn't watching, he threw it back and waited as she read it. Her reply this time came back much faster than the previous one, and he opened it eagerly.

Maybe because I spend my time learning how to do more productive things! Also, I think your expectations of fate are very different from mine. And no, I will not go out with you. -B

Why not? -J xx (PS, I added the xx because I want to kiss you now, Jones. Twice.)

There are an infinite amount of reasons. And I'd rather kiss an ugly toad. -B

You'd rather kiss Sirius than me? That hurts me. Badly. -J

Good! That was exactly what I was aiming to do. -B

Do you hear that? It's the sound of my heart shattering into a million pieces. -J

He was just about to throw it back when a loud voice interrupted him. "Mr Peterson!"

Binns floated in front of him, an annoyed expression on his translucent face. "May I ask what you think you're doing?"

"No, sir, you may not. And it's Potter, actually," James replied casually, leaning back against his chair. Of course, no one look the least bit surprised. James and Sirius were known to be cheeky and impudent to teachers, and Binns was one of their favourites to hassle.

The ghost scowled, thrusting a gray hand out to snatch the piece of parchment from James. Surprisingly, he managed to hold it firmly as his gaze scanned the conversation. "Passing notes in class? Detention for you tonight, Mr Pipsqueak! And you as well, Miss Janson!"

"It's Jones," James reminded him and his scowl deepened. "Yes, yes, whatever. And ten points from Gryffindor for your impertinence, Mr Polly."

With that, he floated back to the front of the class, leaving James to lean back against his seat with a grin on his face. In front of him, Brooklyn sighed but didn't look too surprised. They'd received numerous detentions together before, seeing as they bickered almost every day. All those detentions had probably been the most fun of his life. Stuck with Brooklyn alone for 2 hours? If anything, it was more like a reward.

"You're welcome, Jones," he told her as they exited the classroom later on, and she raised an eyebrow. "For what?"

"Well, now you don't have to tutor that dumb prat Diggory anymore."

"Yes, but I'll be stuck with an even dumber prat, it seems," she muttered, rolling her eyes. James chuckled, shaking his head as she quickened her pace to get away from him.

"You love me," he called out.

"I really don't," she yelled back over her shoulder, although he could've sworn he saw the slightest hint of a smile on her face. Or maybe it was just his imagination? Yeah, probably his imagination. It didn't really matter. James was on cloud nine the rest of the day.