- maybe forever happy -

STEVE REFUSED to wake up Elenora

And so did Bucky.

Neither of the men knew when her last happy, safe sleep was, and neither of them wanted to ruin it. It was a fear that picked at a wound for Rogers, was she happy? If not now, could she ever?

All of last night, Bucky spent the night in his room, listening to Steve turning in his bed. He tried to know what was going on with Elenora, but he couldn't hear a thing; she didn't make a sound.

She didn't sleep that night. Elenora just sat on the guest bedroom bed, surveying the wallpaper, trying to find the creases. Shed guess, then drag her fingers over it to check. It was better than trying to sleep. Sleeping to Elenora was terrifying. The idea of not being able to control yourself, your actions, was her fear. She could hurt someone, make them cry, manipulate them, the options were never ending. She didn't want to wake up screaming the way she usually did.

So she stayed up- all night. If Bucky had known he would have been a mix of impressed and angry. But he didn't, so there was that.

So as the two grown men had a domestic about not wanting to annoy the young girl, she sat in the bedroom counting the flowers that decorated the wall. Finally she gathered the strength to creak the door open.

Bucky and Steve stood near the kitchen table, Steve's back was to Elenora, so Bucky was the first to see her. He sent her a smile.

She gave him a weak one.

Steve turned around, grinning at his daughter. "Hey, Elenora."

"G-good morning," She whispered with a yawn- sleep might have been a good idea. And Bucky thought that was so cute, so innocent he almost backed away from the father and daughter. He didn't want to ruin anything.

"Morning," Bucky greeted, swallowing hard.

All of the sudden, Steve remembered that they had plans and required Elenora in attire other than dirty clothes. "I guess you want to get ready- come with me."

Elenora followed her father to to a closet in the spare bedroom, hoping he wouldn't notice that the bed was still made. In all honestly, he didn't. But if he had, the assumption that she made it would fit perfectly.

"We have some clothes," Steve told her, pointing awkwardly at the nearly bare closet, only decorated with a few outfits. "It's not much, I know but-"

"Steve," Bucky called, "leave the poor girl alone, let her get dressed." Steve sighed, and closed his eyes. Maybe Bucky was right, he should just lay off.