Chapter 11

I practically break the hinges off the door to MacCallan's study. "Callan? Callan?!"

"I'm still here," he states low, standing from his chair. I feel my lips tremble and I look at him, helplessly, breathing heavy.

"You-you can't-"

He turns at the words, grabbing bottles. "We spoke about this."

"I know... I know. I expected- more- more time!"

"We don't have anymore."

I stare at him packing, angrily. "MacCallan."

He doesn't answer me. His shoulders, ridged and broad, stiffen at the sound of the name though. I shake my head.

"So that's just it? You're rid of me? Just like that?"

"Gillian..."

"No. I deserve an answer! I've given you everything- my heart, my soul-"

He drops his hands onto the desk in defeat, turning enough to look at me with wild eyes. "I'll never be rid of ye! I'm leaving my damn heart here with ye. I'm leavin' without it!"

He pounds on the desk and bounds towards me, grabbing my face. I'm about to answer him when his lips are against mine, hard and fast.

We claw and groan and shiver, consumed by what we feel.

"Don't leave me- with him," I whisper desperately, shocked by how unprepared I was to let him leave. With my hands on his face, he hangs his head toward the ground, silently.

I stare at him and after a moment, release him, dropping my hands.

Turning for the door, I go to reach for the handle but I hear his voice, soft and breathless.

"How- do we do this?"

I turn, eyes wide. "What do you mean?"

"Run away...leave- together."

I feel an intense rush of relief as tears spring to my eyes. "... in the night. Mackenzie lands aren't far from here."

"That would be the first place he'd look for ye. If we do this, we'd be always moving- for a long time... until he lost interest or gained a wife."

"We'd be outsiders," I whisper, stepping closer to him. He nods, reaching out for me. I move into him while he wraps an arm around my shoulders. "Your career, your job... He may try to-to destroy it. It would be a struggle, a huge leap-"

"But we'd be together," he answers.

I nod, smiling, squeezing him tighter.

"While this plan has merit... there's one problem..."

MacCallan and I stiffen together. I don't have to look to know who's standing at the door. My eyes flicker up to Callan's face, who's staring towards the doorway, unafraid.

Symon growls, "I'd never stop looking for her, MacCallan Mackenzie, you bastard traitor... Where the hell is your honor?"

"I have none. I haven't since ye laid your hands on her in vain!"

I turn at that, finding Symon standing like a giant at the door, blocking out all the sunlight. His eyes are slimmed with anger- an unspeakable rage. I begin to fear when he turns, shutting the door behind him.

"Symon, I told you that I didn't love you."

"Yes, you hadn't disclosed that you loved someone else though." The emphasized accent is gone now.