Chapter 36

April's POV – 10pm (night)

The jail cell was eerily unwelcoming,  cold metal bars separating both the woman and men's cells. I gulped and looked over to the neighboring cell – Beau and Daniel were acting as though being arrested was an everyday occurrence for them. They were even playing cards with a fellow cell mate. 

Damn them.

"Psst," I hissed, trying to get their attention. 

Beau heard and glanced upwards. "Are we ever getting out of here? My mum is going to kill me when she finds out I've been arrested! I'm going to have to go back to England straight away. No, screw that, I have a criminal record now Beau. I'm seriously dead." 

"Ap, you'll be fine. Someone is coming to bail us out. Stop worrying, okay? We're right here," he grinned at me and I scowled in response.

It was okay for Daniel and Beau - they were together in a cell, whereas I was by myself and seriously shitting myself. Never again are you messing with the law April Evans.

April's POV – Earlier in the day – 4pm

I pushed the door open and stumbled inside, slamming it shut after me. I let out an animated shiver and smiled at George and Elena, my roommates, sprawled across the sofa lazily. They mumbled greetings to me and I waved back, going straight to my room. I wanted to get out of these wet clothes as soon as possible – they were clinging impossibly close to me and I flt horribly gritty. 

After showering and scrubbing at my hair and body for a solid 20 minutes, I decided to get started on homework whilst my hair dried naturally, the window cracked open an inch to bring a cold breeze into the room. Once I had finished, it was only 6 o'clock – I swung my legs out of bed and glanced out of the window, seeing the heavy drape of darkness that had fallen over the street below.

Oh winter, how I love you. 

I ended up surfing the internet for a full half hour, avoiding all eye contact with the unfinished maths work that sat on my desk. A welcome, soft knock sounded from my door and I frowned, wondering who I was supposedly expecting.

Once I opened it, I froze in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

Beau and Daniel were stood in front of me, now pouting. "Must you always greet us like we're unwanted guests?"

I shook my head at him halfheartedly and tiptoed, looking over his shoulder. "Where are my roommates?" I asked, seeing the sofa empty.

"They let us in and then left for dinner. People do have a life you know?" Daniel teased, leaning against the door frame.

"I know," I replied indigently. Where's Aiden? I felt myself wanting to say, but I bit my tongue, stopping myself. You are not some love-sick fool April. Stop acting like one.

"You went to Wal-mart?" I asked, smiling slightly at the shopping bags at their feet. 

Daniel bit his lip, a smile twitching at his lips. "Yeah."

"What are you doing with all that toilet paper?" 

Beau replied this time, blue eyes dancing with mischief as he bit back his laughter. At my expression, his eyes dimmed slightly. "We - well, nothing really."

"Beau, don't you dare lie to me," I warned light-heartedly, prodding him with my finger.

Daniel paused, tilting his head to one side like a bird, assessing it's options delicately. "We TP'd people's homes." My eyes widened.