The Party

I step out of the car looking up at the grand brick building.

"Fancy." I mutter.

Jared hands the keys to the valet coming around the front of the car.  

"Only the best for Marcel." Marcus states.

"Yes, this is a very big shindig."

"And why are we here?" I question walking in between them.

"We have been big contributors in the past." Marcus says.

"And this year?"

"We've made a living here Serena. Twenty plus years somewhere you got to make friendly with the locals" Jared whispers. "Now smile, and try to act like you're having fun."

The courtyard is covered in a soft blue glow, rose petals cover the ground as sliver confetti gently falls from somewhere on the second floor. A handful of women were hanging and dancing from thick ribbons that were attached to the ceiling. Men and women dressed in beautiful clothes each wearing a unique mask. A black metal staircase lead to the second floor, each step holding a small decoration in the corner.

"Gentlemen, glad you could make it." A dark skin man states appearing in front of us.

His eyes were shining black oil slicks, and he has a large smile on his face. He is dresses in a fine black suit and mask.

"Marcus, Jared. Nice seeing you again." He states address each of the men at my sides.

"The pleasure is all our Marcel." Marcus states with a small smile.

Marcel's eyes fall to me. "And who is this lovely lady."

"A friend." Marcus states sternly.

Jared loops his arm around my shoulder. "Come on sweetheart, let's go get a drink."

"It was nice meeting you." Marcel calls out slightly sarcastically.

"What was that about?" I question as Jared sets a glass of champagne in my hand.

"You know Marcus, he is just protective, that's all." 

"I don't see why he's so protective of me." I mumble taking a sip.

Jared quickly downs his glass. "I've always thought it's because you reminded him of his sister."

"Marcus has a sister?"

He nods grabbing another glass. "And two younger brothers."

I shake my head in disbelief, taking another drink. "How come I never knew about this?"

"Serena, I've been with Marcus for almost a hundred years, he's not one to indulge in the past."

"Still that seems like a big thing to me."

"Not to Marcus." He begins grabbing another glass. "At the turn of the century he basicly turned over a new leaf. He said, "There's no point in sulking over a life you had centuries ago."

I wave my glass staring down at the ground. "And what about you?"

"Well I'm not nearly as old as Marcus, but my past comes back to me from time to time. Marcus had an easier life than I did. I was a stable boy, and he was a knight."

"A stable boy?" I question with a small laugh.

He waves his hand. "Yes, yes laugh it up. But that's all behind me now, my transition was a new chapter in my life. And since then nothing has been the same."

"Well that's cute." Marcus states jokingly with a smile.

Jared quickly throws his hand to the side hitting Marcus in the gut. Marcus doesn't move and just let out a small chuckle.

"So who is Marcel?" I question.

"He's basically the king of the Quarter." Jared whispers.

"Not someone I want to get close to you." Marcus states.

Jared rolls his eyes. "She is a twenty four year old woman, she can get close to who she wants."

"Not with vampires."

"She's close to us." Jared states glaring at him.

"That's different." He mumbles.

"How?" Jared snaps.

Marcus rolls his eyes, quickly grabbing his hand. "I believe now is the perfect time for that dance I  promise you."

Before Jared could say anything Marcus quickly drags him to the dance floor. I laugh as they disappear from sight, grabbing another glass.

"And what is a gorgeous lady like yourself doing back here all alone?"