Chapter 10.

"Mmh..."

Ciel let out a muffled groan as he began to wake up. His eyes not even open, he went to stretch his arms then found he was sitting up. Confused, the boy lifted his head and looked up with bleary eyes, barely able to see as it was still dark. When he saw Sebastian's face looking down at him his breath hitched and he nearly fell backwards, before realising his butler's arm was wrapped gently around his shoulders.

"S-Se-Sebastian? What are you doing?"

He asked, small brow furrowed into a deep frown. With soft crimson eyes the demon looked down at his master, a small smile curving the corners of his lips.

"Ah, you're awake, My Lord. And about time too."

He replied with a quiet chuckle.

"What do you mean? What time is it? How long have you been here?"

"My Lord. Last night you were having another nightmare. I came when I heard you call for me, but I could not wake you up. I sat down briefly to see if I could rouse you but it was you who jumped onto my lap. I could not simply leave you in such a state, so I waited. That was around four hours ago; it's three o'clock in the morning."

Ciel began to mutter some kind of protest, but stopped when he felt a slender gloved hand resting softly on the back of his head.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of, Master. You were asleep after all."

Still really only half awake, Ciel realised what Sebastian said was true and part of him began to remember last night's dream. It was the same as the previous two... Although more vivid and far more frightening. For once, just for once, the Earl showed his weakness. He cast aside his prideful and cold exterior and his butler saw the broken boy beneath. Shamelessly he wrapped his small arms around Sebastian's torso and buried his face in his shoulder.

"Thank you..."

He mumbled. With a slight smirk the demon wrapped his other arm around his master and pulled him into a warm embrace.

"You are welcome, My Lord."

They sat like that for some time, before Sebastian stroked his master's hair gently and Ciel lifted his head.

"You ought to try and get some more sleep, My Lord. Morning is not far off and we can't have you tired now, can we?"

With a sleepy nod the boy disentangled himself from his butler's arms and crawled back into bed, snuggling under the covers before the raven haired male tucked him in.

"Sweet dreams, My Lord."

His voice was but a whisper in the darkness, and he slipped out of the room as his master fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

*****

The demon's footsteps were silent as he walked back to his master's room. Dawn was here and it was time for him to rise, but as the butler entered the room he found himself reluctant to disturb the boy's sleep.

He is simply too adorable when he sleeps...

With a smile he walked over to the bed, pausing by it to watch for a moment or two. The Earl's blankets rose and fell with his soft, steady breathing, and his face looked so peaceful... But Sebastian knew he wouldn't be forgiven for waking him late again. So he strode to the window and threw back the heavy curtains, allowing daylight to stream into the room.

"Good morning, Master. It is time for you to wake up."

Ciel groaned and turned over in bed so he was facing the door, covering himself with the blankets to avoid the light. Though he wouldn't admit it, two nights of inadequate sleep had begun to tire him.

"Mmff... F... Five more minutes..."

Laying the silver tray on the bedside cabinet, Sebastian poured his master's morning tea. As the smell wafted over his face the boy yawned widely, covering his mouth with the back of his hand as he pushed himself up off of the pillow. He rubbed at his eyes before he was handed his tea.

"What do I have to do today, Sebastian?"

He asked wearily, looking over the top of his teacup at the butler, who was preparing his clothes for the day.

"This morning you have more paperwork to attend to, then there is your dance lesson this afternoon, and in the evening you have a meeting with one of the directors of the company's branch in the West End."

Placing his tea down Ciel moved to the edge of the bed so Sebastian could dress him, rather displeased with the sound of his schedule.

"Cancel the dance lesson; I don't think I have the energy today."

He said bluntly, and without even a thought of protest the demon bowed his head.

"Yes, My Lord."

He finished buttoning up his master's jacket before standing up and taking the tray.

"Breakfast is ready for you, My Lord. This morning we have a selection of scones, or cooked salmon if you prefer."

"I'll take the scones."

"Very good, Sir."

As Sebastian left, Ciel sighed and paused to look at himself in the mirror. His fingertips brushed lightly over the eye patch that covered their contract seal.

What has this become? I'd forgotten what it was like to feel loved, but now... Hm. I think this will take time, if nothing else.