Chapter 148 - Dresses

"I love you too Mom." I said, leaning my head on her shoulder. We walked out of the building, to see the only people I didn't want to see.

"Why the long face Princess?" Nicks father asked me. "You put my kid in jail."

"For three months." I spat.

"Do we need to work on apologizing again?" He switched to his condescending voice again.

"Three months. He continuously harassed me for 10 months." My voice cracked a little.

"You weren't in jail though. Maybe you should be. Maybe you should go instead of him you little whore." He enunciated the last three words, raising his voice, and leaning closer to me, until I finally slapped him.

"What did you call my daughter?" Lin said, finally coming out of the building. "What?" He came up to us.

"Your daughter hit me." He accused.

"Yeah, I saw, I don't know if I'm going to hit you as well, because you will not refer to my daughter like that."

"I will call her whatever I want." He spat.

"No you won't." I felt Lin grab my hand, and I started to walk away with him, "I'm sorry peanut, but kudos on the slap." He said.

"It was long overdue." I admitted.

"So, I got fitted for my tux yesterday." Lin started, steering me away from the topic.

"How did that go?" Vanessa asked.

"Oh I have a bow-tie." He said, "the two of you need dresses." He announced.

"I get a Tony dress?" I asked, excited.

"No peanut, you're going on the red carpet in sweats and one of my old t-shirts." My dad joked.

"Well. That would make it onto Broadway.com." I laughed a little.

"So, are we getting dresses today?" Vanessa asked.

"Well, we have an appointment at some dress shop in town, so, yep. Both of the girls in my life are getting Tony dresses." He kissed Vanessa, then kissed my temple.

A little while later I was sitting inside one of those designer dress shops where a gay guy gives you an armful of dresses and compliments you until you choose one, and then they make it look disturbingly good on you. Also, there are puffy chairs and a showroom and it makes you feel rich.

So, Vanessa was changing, in one of the changing rooms, and Lin and I were sitting in the puffy chairs in the show room, he was on his phone, and I was reading through a magazine.

"Okay. Dress number three?" She came out into the room, in a light blue dress.

"Oh gosh V." Lin looked up from his phone, "you look, oh, Vanessa you're perfect." She spun around a bit, and the dress sparkled.

"I, well, it's too, you know, glittery." She said, spreading out the skirt.

"Okay. Try the next one." He said, smiling at her.

"Will do." She smiled back, then took a dress off of a chair and went back into the changing room.

"Dad," I started, looking up from my magazine, "you realize you've said the exact same thing every time Vanessa has come out."

"I cannot help it, she's a goddess." He said, and I laughed. In a couple minutes she came back out.

"This is the one." She said, twirling around in it.

"You're gorgeous." Lin said, standing up to kiss her.

"Thank you Honey." She smiled, and wrapped her arms around Lin.