Chapter 9: Cold Milk

I groaned as the teacher told us what our homework is. Like I need more things to think about. Today has been terrible so far and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better. It turns out that some people at the party weren’t as oblivious as we made them out to be and they actually saw my kiss with Grayson when they entered Shane’s house. The students made sure that by the time I stepped out of first period, the word had spread and everyone stared at me with wide eyes.

Everyone knows I hate Grayson and they all know he hates me, too. I’m the only one that knows that there might be a slim (very slim) chance that I don’t actually hate him. Well, Sandra and Lola claim to know but I think they’re just going out on a whim. Just because I don’t hate him doesn’t mean that I don’t strongly dislike him, because trust me, I do. It doesn’t help that Grayson isn’t denying or agreeing to the rumors and people assume that my word isn’t good enough. They want the king of the school to say that it isn’t true.

Yesterday was a bad day, too. I was shouted at by my father who heard me come in at 2 in the morning. I don’t think he was mad that I came in late; I just think he was mad at the sound of a motorcycle driving down the street a few seconds before my entrance. My mother told him, before she went to work, that I was to be home by 12 o’clock but she never relayed the message to me so as of yesterday, I’m grounded for a week. That means that until next Sunday, I can’t leave the house unless I’m going to school, work, or running an errand for my parents. I also had to have Sandra drive my car to my house, and then I had to drive her back but I couldn’t even stay.  

“You kissed Grayson?” a freshman girl asked me as I stood at my locker. I turned to look at her and in an annoyed voice, I replied.

“No, I didn’t kiss Grayson. Why would I do that?” I snapped but instead of running away like the last one, she stood her ground.

“Well, if a girl kisses a guy, that means she likes him. Plus, there are witnesses that say they saw you making out with him more than once,” how did the rumors escalate in the matter of an hour and 25 minutes? Weren’t people supposed to be in class? Cell phones, bathroom breaks, skipping, free periods.

“Well, whoever told you that, little girl, is lying,” I slammed my locker and stormed down the hallway. I didn’t manage to get the point across that I was angry because two more people stopped me again in the matter of five minutes, asking me if I locked lips with Grayson Carter.

“Do you people have nothing better to do?” I screamed angrily as I walked to lunch, escaping the crowd of sophomore girls.

I was in the lunch line when I received a text from my friends. They, like the rest of the student body, decided to eat outside and they’re currently inviting me to go with them. I looked around the nearly empty cafeteria, filled with only 10 people; I decided that I should go outside.

My friends were eating at the table next to the fence that was separating us from the football field, where Grayson and his friends were coincidentally playing. I wonder why my friends chose this spot. “Did you hear the rumors?”

My friends nodded, Lola looking up at me with innocent eyes. “It wasn’t me, I swear,” I caught the gaze of a junior girl behind Lola and I shot her a glare, earning a scared look from her before she turned away. I smirked as I sat down. The air was cold and I wished my friends would have told me that we were eating outside before third period; I would have grabbed my coat.

“I didn’t say anything!” Sandra whispered and I furrowed my eyebrows.

For the first time today, I let out a small chuckle. “I know it wasn’t you guys or else you wouldn’t be here right now.”