Chapter Eleven

Effie was still shaken up from the nightmare two nights ago. She hadn't been able to sleep in fear of having that nightmare again. Nothing could make her fall asleep. She had tried to count sheep, but the sheep never jumped. She tried to have a warm beverage before sleeping, but that always made her want to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. She had tried a lot of different techniques in hope that she would get just an hour of peaceful sleep, but nothing worked.

Whenever she closed her eyes she would see the lady's face bringing the syringe closer and closer to her until she would open her eyes and stay awake. The dream was still visible in her mind and whenever she thought about it, she would cringe.

Her parents were starting to worry about her. Effie's appearance wasn't helping her lie to her parents. Effie had dark circles under her eyes and her eyes were bloodshot from not sleeping. Her father started to have even more suspicions that this wasn't just a head injury that will go away soon and soon her mother started to have the same thoughts. Effie couldn't lie to them and tell them that she was alright much longer. Sooner or later she will have to tell them the truth and she knew how that will go down.

On the third night, Effie couldn't take it anymore. She got out of bed and put her slippers on. She then walked quietly out of her room and out the back door towards the garden. She sat down on the concrete bench and waited for Patricia to show up.

Finally, she did.

"So, what did you think of that dream, huh?" Patricia jeered at her.

Effie shook her head, too tired to glare at her. "I had a funny feeling it was you who gave me that dream. Why did you do it? It just makes me not want to go to that place more."

Patricia swung her legs back and forth and smiled. "I know," she chirped. "But now you can't sleep and I know what your father thinks of that. He's starting to figure it out and your mother isn't far behind."

Effie placed her head in her hands. "Why, Patricia?"

"Because, like I told you, you are going to that asylum. The same asylum I went to." Patricia stood up and faced Effie. "There's nothing you can do about it now. I can see your future, Effie, and I see a different room than the one your sleeping in now."

"I will not go to an asylum!" Effie screamed. She quickly covered her mouth and looked at the house, hoping that she didn't wake her parents up. When she didn't see any lights turn on, she brought her hand away from her mouth and glared at Patricia. "I will make sure that my parents believe me." She took a deep breath and continued, "I plan to tell them about you very soon."

Patricia laughed. "Yeah, tell me how that goes." She walked a few feet away and began to play with the roses. "They all think that will solve their problems, but it doesn't. No parent believes their child when they tell them that they could see and talk to dead people."

"Wait, am I not the first one you've talked to about this?" Effie was horrified to know the answer. What if she wasn't the first one and Patricia has sent many people to an asylum? Effie shuttered at the thought of all those other people suffering for what one dead child has done to them.

Patricia turned around and gave Effie a chilling smile. "Of course. Being a spirit, I can live and visit as many people as I can."

"What if you fulfill what you came to Earth for? Won't you go back to where you came?"

Patricia smiled. "Nope." She popped the end of the word. "I'm not even close to fulfilling what I came here to do. I promised myself that when I died in that horrible, malicious hole, I would make sure that everyone who has the same gift as mine would feel the same pain I felt."

"Why would you want people to feel pain?" Effie asked. "Wouldn't you want the people who share your so-called, 'gift' not to feel pain? Wouldn't you want to help them to hide their gift so they wouldn't be sent anywhere?"

Patricia smiled sadly and shook her head. "You wish that was my thinking, but no. I want people to suffer like I did. I want you to suffer like I did!" She then gave Effie an evil grin, waved, and disappeared from sight.

Effie shook her head and rubbed her eyes. Patricia was determined, but that didn't mean that Effie was going to give up. She was going to make sure that that nightmare wouldn't become a reality.