Six

(Iris' P.O.V.)

Cedric had been avoiding her for a week now. She could tell by the way he ducked his head when she saw him in the halls, which didn't hide him well because he was way too tall to not be seen. He didn't come to meals anymore, and she watched in concern as his weight dropped. In class he kept his head down and left as soon as the lesson ended. 

She desperately tried to catch up with him several times, but he walked too quickly for her short legs and she was forced to give up in frustration.

In between classes and after dinner he seemed to disappear and even though she searched the library and common room several times she couldn't find him anywhere. His absence made her heart hurt and she cried herself to sleep more times than she would admit.

~~~

On Saturday there was a Hogsmeade visit and she went by herself for a little bit. Cedric was nowhere to be seen and Justin and Hannah were out by themselves so she felt like she shouldn't bother them.

The autumn wind was cold as she trudged back and she hugged her coat tighter around herself. She saw the castle in the distance but headed down to the lake since no one was there. 

The rocks crunched under her feet as she walked along the shore, pausing to skip stones every once in a while. She felt tears welling up in her eyes and shook her head furiously. The next stone skipped once and sank to the bottom, and she buried her face in her hands. She didn't care if anyone saw her, she just let herself cry.

Someone put their arms around her from behind and she didn't care who it was, even if it was a Death Eater, she just turned and buried her face in their chest. Her sobs filled the crisp air as the person held her close, stroking her back gently.

Wait, she knew this person. He was the person she was crying so pathetically over.

Cedric fucking Diggory.

She pulled away and hit him in the chest, again and again. He stumbled back and brought his arms up to block her. Gently, he grabbed her wrists and pulled her into a tight hug.

"I hate you. I really hate you Cedric Diggory." She cried.

"I know. I know, and I'm sorry. I've been such an idiot lately, 'Ris. I'm so sorry."

"Why? What did I do wrong?"

"Nothing. I-I was the one who did something wrong, 'Ris."

"W-what? It can't be that bad, Ced."

"I. . . would you forgive me if I didn't tell you?"

"I don't understand why you can't."

"Just. . .please. Just trust me on this one, 'Ris. Please."

Maybe it was because he called her 'Ris, or maybe it was because she was completely in love with him, but she forgave him right then.

She wiped her eyes and gave a short little laugh that sounded more sad than anything. And then she found herself pulling him into another tight hug. Iris closed her eyes and enjoyed this moment when she could hold him close and pretend that there wasn't anything stopping her from kissing him.

Little did she know that he was thinking just about the same thing.

~~~

Dearest Cedric,

I missed you so much when you didn't speak to me, and I'm so confused by why you even stopped in the first place. Why did you feel like you couldn't tell me what you did wrong that made you avoid me? Sometimes I wish you would just love me back.

The Triwizard Tournament is coming up and I'm terrified. I watched you put your name in today from back behind your friends who all clapped you on the back and cheered. I wanted to scream at them all to shut up, but I just smiled and congratulated you.

I don't think I can do this much longer. I can't stay your best friend. I'm giving you one more year to realize that I'm completely in love with you. If you don't I'm going to ask my parents to transfer me to Beauxbatons for the last year of school and then I plan on never speaking to you again. Maybe I'll meet someone nice and marry them, but I'll never get over you no matter how hard I try, and that makes me want to jump off the Astronomy Tower. But don't worry, I won't. I'm not leaving until the end of the year.

Love,

Iris