Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 04 | Red Wine

PARKER TOSSES A yellow raincoat in my direction as soon as we exit Audrey's car, and I catch it, fumbling slightly

PARKER TOSSES A yellow raincoat in my direction as soon as we exit Audrey's car, and I catch it, fumbling slightly. Glancing at the jacket that is now in my hands, I frown, before looking up at the sky. There are several puffs of clouds dotting the sky, but other than that, it looks clear.

"Are you expecting it to rain?"

His mouth threatens to quirk into a smile. "Just put it on and follow me."

Sighing, I do as he says, sliding my arms through the sleeves and flipping my hair out of the collar, letting it fall across my shoulders. Looking around, I take in our surroundings.

We're parked outside of a wooded area, next to a sign that reads Boulder Trail. He didn't tell me where we were going, so I have no idea what to expect. Parker sticks his hands into the pockets of his black pants and gestures with his chin for me to follow him onto the path.

As we begin to walk through the woods, I'm thankful I chose to wear boots today. Parker doesn't speak as we walk, but I think I hear him humming under his breath from time to time. I'm too focused on trying not to trip over the roots and twigs beneath my feet. The silence grows old after a while, and I get tired of staring at the back of his head.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" I ask.

"Nope," he responds promptly, not sparing me a glance. "You'll see soon enough."

There's a part of me that feels like those words should frighten me, but they don't. Despite what happened yesterday, I still feel a warmth in his presence that I can't ignore. "That sounds ominous," I remark lightly.

"Maybe it is," he jokes.

It's quiet save for the sound of twigs snapping, the dirt crunching under our feet, and the occasional bird twittering in the trees above. My nose is met with the smell of pine needles and fresh air, and I slowly find myself unwinding from the day I had at school. There's something about being out in nature, away from it all, that makes me feel at ease.

"So, what does Audrey do?" I ask finally, my curiosity getting the better of me.

He crouches slightly, ducking under a branch. "She's a waitress at this Italian restaurant, Antonio's."

I mimic him, dodging the extension of the tree. "And you?"

He looks over his shoulder, only for a second, as though he's surprised I would even care. "Ah, I'm a line cook there."

The trail begins to get wider, and unexpectedly, a man on a bike whizzes past, going in the opposite direction. It's wide enough for us to walk side by side now, so I fall into step beside him, and he pretends not to notice, keeping his eyes forward.

"That's where you two met, then?" I inquire curiously.

"Oh." His face clears, voice growing quiet. "Yeah."