nine

Things had been very different with Zayden and me - to say the least.

Not awkward weird, but we've been spending a lot more time together and talking a lot.

I didn't mind since I've been scared to let him out of my sight ever since that hospital scene. But I don't think he minds either. I just wasn't ready to lose someone again. After I closed myself up and opened myself to Zayden, I couldn't just let him go.

I like him. 

I realized that, and it took seeing him in such a vulnerable state to do so. We haven't said anything about it - the cancer - and I don't mind. Well, that's what I tell myself - that is.

"Jamie Heart, you have outdone yourself once again." He said while he moaned - taking another bite of the cake I just baked.

"Firstly, not for you. Stop eating." I slapped his hands away but I was too late. Since he grabbed the plate with a slice and started chowing it down. I thought it best to just let him at it.

"You are a pig, Zayden Stone."

He grinned at me, "I'm your pig though." The teasing was very well evident.

I rolled my eyes at his words but didn't deny them either. Which he probably noticed as well.

I started washing the rest of the dishes, and I felt someone come up behind me wrapping their arms around my waist and resting there head on the top of my own. It was Zayden. Surprise.

"I hate the dishes." I heard him grumble from up top. I only chuckled at his words.

"Me too."

"So I think your mom is going to love the cake."

"She'll only love it if there's any left for her."

"You should stop eating it all then, Jamie."

"Hardy-har-har," I said in a mocking tone. I finished up, slipping out of his arms and taking the cake, cutting some and putting it on a plate.

"I'm proud of her, you know."

"You should be." I gave him a smile before walking to the living room.

"She deserved that raise."

He plopped himself on the sofa, grabbing the remote and turning the television on. I sat down next to him when all the preparations were done. He took it as his chance to wrap his arms around me, pulling me to him closely. We sat there in that position, for a while. 

Until we heard the rustling of keys by the door. I pulled him up and gestured towards the door. We quickly got into place, closing the lights.

"Jamie!" I heard my mom yelling but didn't say a single word.

"Jamie, what's going o-"

I switched the lights on, jumping up.

"Surprise!" I walked towards her giving her a bear hug before pulling back to see the smile on her face. I felt Zayden come up behind me, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"You guys shouldn't have!"

"Mrs. Heart, you deserve the best." She chuckled at his words and pinched his cheeks before I lead her to the sofa and pulled out a present I was hiding underneath the table.

"Here." 

I saw her eyes water up as she grabbed it. She unwrapped it, and she choked on it sob. 

She pulled me in a hug before letting me go. 

"Thank you, I love it." She slid her hand across the frame. Admiring the picture of her and I.

It was off when I was younger and she took me to Six Flags for my birthday. We were both forced into the picture, but I grabbed her hand quickly giving it a squeeze and a smile overtook her face. I know I can be a pain in the ass but she does all of this for me, and I'll never be able to show how thankful I really am.

I stood up backing up a little as she ate the cake and told me how great it was. Zayden, on the other hand, walked towards her and pulled out a rectangular box from his pocket handing it to him. She grabbed it and opened it and her eyes went wide once she saw what it was. 

I walked towards her in curiosity and was surprised to see a very expensive looking necklace.

"Zayden, Sweetie. I can't."

"No, I insist. Mrs. Heart, you've been a mother to me and I wanted to give you something showing how much that meant to me." I looked up at him to see that he was sincere about every word. 

My mom got up and gave him a hug, crying into his chest while he held her. Once she composed herself she grabbed Zayden's and my hand. 

"I love you both so much. Thank you for this."

I pulled her into another hug before letting go. Zayden, on the other hand, gave her a kiss on the cheek and then grabbed my hand.

"I would love to stay and celebrate, but I'm sorry to say I'm tired." She looked sad, but I gave her a smile and told her she needs her beauty sleep so she can go on ahead. She returned it with a grateful smile before giving us one last hug and bid us both goodnight.

 After my mom was out of sight, I threw myself on the sofa - followed by Zayden.

"I'm tired too."

I looked up to see how drained he looked and guilt washed over me.

"Stay the night."

He looked towards me, "Are you sure?" 

"Positive." He nodded before lying down on the sofa and pulled me along with him. I didn't struggle.

He wrapped his arm around me and I cuddled up to him and soon I heard the very familiar light snoring of Zayden Stone.

"Goodnight."