Chapter Twenty-seven

So here is the last Chapter. I finally decided to have Michelle Trachtenberg play as Heather Kelley. Even though she isn't featured in this chapter. Get some tissues ready... again. Got a nice little song to go with the chapter. Of course its about love and I can honestly relate to it a lot. I just love Daphene Gere's singing voice! Dedication goes to DianeCorporan for leaving such nice comments. Girl its because of you these posts kept coming so quickly.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                           Daniel

"Go on that double date. Don't worry about me," my dad very weakly tried to push me away with his hand.

I didn't move.

"Dad we don't have a lot of time left," I said keeping my emotions in check.

It took my dad a while to answer. Looking at how small he became in such a short time, it was alarming. But there was nothing we could do. Only Lisa the middle aged prude seemed to be in agreement. 

My dad, so fragile now. He was smaller even than me now. Just lifting an arm up to put a coat on became too painful for him. I learned a lot how to deal with these new changes. 

"I know, I wont lie to you," at that he tried to laugh but it was very weak. "But you still have to get out there and live a little. Just like I taught you."

My lips pressed into a hard line, still adamant.

"Daniel," there it was, the tone he used to scold me with back when I was a little boy. The same hardness was in his eyes. He looked just like my real father again for a moment. I just not to let that little glimmer of an impossible hope shimmer. If only he knew how it didn't work on me anymore.

"Dad," I mimicked the same tone in return.

"So stubborn. I don't know where you get that from."

I frowned deeply at him.

He tried to chuckle but his energy was spent.

Lisa popped up from her chair beside the bed setting a paperback novel down. She gave me a hard look that suggested that I needed to leave him alone a bit. She didn't scare me.

"Take your father's advice," she said with a rather softer tone surprising me.

And for some reason my intuition flickered.

"Did my father and you know each other?"

Her eye's about fell out of their sockets and before she could gather herself properly I cut her to the chase.

"You did didn't you? Why haven't either of you told me? And in what way did you know each other?"

She looked down her pale skin only going paler. I watched a few brown hair strands fall in front of her face. She looked at the floor doing something with her feet on the floor.

I was getting impatient.

"Yes we knew each other," she finally answered me, "we had what you kids would call a fling. But I never forgot about him. And from the way he looked at me when I came in, he didn't either."

Just one shocking revelation after another.

Just who was my dad?

"When?" and I knew she knew what I meant.

"Before your father met your mother. She was pregnant with you or at least just found out. Her parents weren't very nice people. So at the thought of their youngest daughter pregnant out of wedlock... well that was unspeakable."