Chapter 23: Back to Business

Estela gazed up at the night sky above her. It was beautiful, and it was an image she wanted to saviour for the rest of her life.

She felt content here. Happy, even. And she hadn't truly felt like this for a very long time. A softness seemed to come from the starlight that filled her to the bone as she stared at them in wonder; and a slow-burning smoulder singed within her as she felt Tom's skin against her own – cool and comforting – yet still managing to warm her entire body far better than the campfire ever could.

A heaviness swept over her eyes as she rested her head in the hollow of Tom's bare shoulder. She didn't want to sleep, though. She didn't want to lose a single second of being with him. Because with Tom Riddle, you never knew when he was going to snap and suddenly change back into that empty, heartless being who would deny having ever spent this time with her.

And that was something she wasn't going to let happen.

She felt him shift from beneath her. "Where are you going?"

He was sitting upright, and the way his pale skin was silhouetted against the darkly bright sky was as beautiful and otherworldly as it had been earlier. She took him in for a while – she couldn't help herself – the way his waves of jet-black hair gleamed under the moonlight, offsetting his eyes so that they were a deep bluish-violet, even in the blaze of the fire.

The night seemed to press closer around him as he turned to look down at her. "Come with me," he said, his voice a deep wave that caressed every muscle, bone and nerve in her body.

And she obeyed. They dressed – him in his fine black clothing that made it seem as though he blended in with the dark sea and sky, and her in her torn up dress – the only thing she had with her.

He led her across the beach – his movements as smooth and as fluid as the waves that crept their way upon the shore to swirl at their feet. And although he walked a few paces ahead of her, she caught him glancing backwards every now and then to make sure she was still behind him – as though he was afraid she'd disappear if he looked away for too long.

It was quite a walk, and as she looked back, Estela could barely make out their campfire burning wildly in the distance. He had brought her to the edge of the cliff she'd seen earlier – the one with the mighty cave carved into its edge that could be seen from miles away – the one he had a photograph of.

She looked up at it - tall and daunting – and watched the harsh waves of the sea crashing against it with echoing roars as Tom led her inside.

It was a tricky route, and would have been impossible without magic, she was sure, unless you were an exceptionally skilled rock-climber. But when they reached the mouth of the cave, Tom stopped to look at her, and his eyes gleamed at the look of surprise that swept over her face.

For something that seemed so intimidating and formidable on the outside with its sharp, ragged edges and harsh plunges, the inside of the cave was beautiful. Like a hidden secret that only they knew about.

Estela took a step forwards, her eyes darting around her surroundings to take in every inch of the striking sight.

Before her was a mighty pool that stretched out across the entire cave. The water was unnaturally calm and still, but what struck her most was the way the water seemed to cast an eerily beautiful green glow around the cavern.

She loosed a long breath. "It's amazing."

A shiver crept down her spine as she felt Tom's fingers brush against her shoulders. "It is."