Chapter Ten

"Philophobia (n.) The fear of falling in love or developing an emotional attachment."

"Well I'm not sure whether to celebrate or complain, but either way I'm having a drink." Sam said reaching into the liquor cabinet.

           "It's 7:00 in the morning," Wanda said sitting on a chair next to the kitchen island.

           "So?" Sam said setting down a glass and a bottle of scotch on the counter, "It's happy hour somewhere."

           "Amen, brother," Scott chimed in, leaning against the counter.

           "Thought you'd seen the last of me?" Bucky said sitting at the table next to Steve, his broad arms crossed over his chest.

           Sam plastered on a fake smile and gestured openly with his hands, "One can only dream."

           "You're both too cute, really." Natasha said sitting at the table on the opposite side of Steve.

           Erin had spent most of the morning in the piano room playing her new gift. Around 6 o'clock, she decided to wake everyone up and tell them the news. Steve and Bucky didn't come out of the lab until 6:30.

Erin took a sip of coffee from her mug. Over the rim of her cup she kept an eye on the Winter Soldier, examining his body language and what kind of mannerisms he had.

He mostly kept quiet, but stayed close to Steve's side. After his banter with Sam he returned his gaze to the table, as if studying its design. Erin looked for any signs of fidgeting like bobbing his knee up and down, playing with his fingers, or casting nervous glances around the room, but he was still as lion, waiting for his prey. For a moment his eyes flashed up and over to Erin. She quickly looked away feeling her cheeks turn slightly hot, but she could still feel his gaze on her for a few moments.

"So what now?" Bucky asked, finally taking his eyes off of Erin. "What's our strategy?"

"For now, we wait," Steve, said.

"What exactly did Tony ask you when he reached out to you last week?" Sam asked.

"Wait, you've been in contact with Tony?" Natasha asked surprised, "Does he know where we are?"

Steve turned to look at her, "Yes, I've spoken with Tony, but he doesn't know our current location."

"And does he know you've woken him up?" Natasha asked nodding towards Bucky.

Steve took a breath, "No."

"Damn it." Erin heard Natasha mutter under her breath.

"He does know that we're willing to help fight, which is why we need to train." Steve turned to Erin, "Erin, how long until Bucky's arm can function normally?"

Erin met Bucky's eyes. He cocked his head slightly to one side, like he was curious as well. "It'll take a few more tests and repairs. I'll need some time with James's arm-"

           "My name is Bucky!" He suddenly snapped.

           The room went quiet. Steve closed his eyes and dropped his head in disappointment.

           Erin was surprised that the venom in his voice made her jump back slightly. She normally would have replied with a rebuttal that matched his anger, but something about the way he spoke made her shrink into herself. It was a type of anger she wasn't prepared for, "I-I'm sorry." She said quietly.

           The anger went out of Bucky's eyes when he realized how harshly he had spoken to her. He looked around the room at the stunned faces. He shoved his chair back from the table and bolted out of the kitchen.