chapter 1

Aelin could still hear the roar of her mate's scream as she fell in the final battle. She opened her eyes, sitting up slowly. There wasn't any pain. She should have been dead. Aelin looked around, seeing she was in a small, smelly cot. Two other girls slept next to her, unstirring as she got to her feet. She made her way outside, into the night air. Everything felt all wrong.

The landscape was barren and gloomy. The moon overhead looked dull. It all looked like it gave up its purpose in beauty. The air was crisp as she breathed. Aelin frowned, panic raising. When she heard a growl behind her, she spun around, reaching for her father's sword only to find it missing. A monster with a horse body, wolf head and elk horns stood in front of her. The term monster was an understatement. Aelin sighed, not surprised that there wouldn't even be peace in death. The beast was surprised when she wasn't afraid. She believed she was dead. Nothing can hurt her, right?

"You're an ugly thing." Aelin muttered. The beast snarled, opening its mouth.

"You killed that wolf. And now i'm going to take you in. It's his life for yours," The beast said, Aelin going wide eyed. At the mention of wolf, she thought off Aedion- wolf of the north.

A flashback hit her, crouching in a forest, hunger wasting away at her body. When a wolf appeared with human like eyes, she didn't hesitate. She killed him. She didn't know where the flashback came from.

Aelin approached the beast, cunning eyes trained on him. He had her answers, she knew it. So she nodded: "fine, lead the way." she said and shrugged, surprising the beast once more.

-

Aelin fixed her Ashryver eyes on the wall that they approached. She didn't bother asking the monster any questions, but she also didn't drop her guard around him. She had already checked and found her fire powers still intact. She was still a fae.

Now, as she looked at the wall, she started wondering. What did they want to keep out? Or what did they want to keep in? She tried to keep her thoughts anywhere but with Rowan. If he found out that she let her guard down and gave the beast a chance to kick her ass, well he'd watch the beast kick her ass with a smug face.

She chuckled at the thought. The beast growled. "What is so funny?" he asked.

Aelin planted a smirk on her face. "That thing on your body called your face," She purred, strutting ahead of him, catching his inhuman growl.

It took them three days to get to the dwelling, where the monster lived. Dwelling being used loosely. It appeared more like a castle. When she turned to look at the beast, she found a.. a man.. a man in a mask. Golden hair, matching hers, that stopped at the nape of his neck, a mask that didn't show anything but his eyes and thin lips. She sniffed subtly. She couldn't smell his blood pumping, or hear his heart beating. Maybe it was this new atmosphere.

"What is your name?" She asked before he could.

"Tamlin," He said. She noticed his pointed ears. Her own hair covered hers. "What is yours?" he asked her.

Aelin didn't answer. She circled him, almost like a predator, making him growl. "What are you?"

"I am the high lord of the spring court." He said smugly, as if that would impress her. When it didn't, he frowned.

She shrugged, now facing him. "Do you want a congratulations?" She rolled her eyes. "Where-" She stopped when he lounged at her, pinning her against a tree by her arms above her head. Pain sprung through her body and she growled.

"What the hell?!" she demanded, baring her elongated teeth.

"Sorry," he backed away, trying to keep his cool. "I don't like being unanswered."

"Deal with it, princess," she rolled her eyes, rubbing her wrists. She turned her back on him and strutted into the castle as if it belonged to her.

-

Lucien couldnt stand on two feet, laughing too hard. Tamlin was giving him the stink eye, clearly not liking what was happening. Every time he calmed down, another burst of laughter came out of him. The high lord's second had to sit down.

"By the cauldron, I love this girl already." Lucien said, his russet eye always pinned on Tamlin even when the other one would look away. His fox mask gleamed in the small amount of sunlight that filtered through the window. Tamlin growled.

"Well we have to get her to love me now." He said, pondering.

"Try complimenting her. Girls love that." Lucien said, sniffing.

"She's different, Lucien."

"Oh, stop before I throw up my breakfast." he said, rolling his eye.

"No, not like that. I-" Tamlins eyes shot up to the door where the woman with blond hair, blue eyes with gold rings stood.

"Oh, finally." She said, sauntering into the office and taking a seat. "How I hate to be ignored." she said, a book settled on her lap. Lucien peeked at the cover. It was a history book about Prythian.

"Deal with it, princess," Tamlin mocked her. Aelin rolled her eyes in return.

"Such originality."

"You have to live under a rock not to know the history of your own country." Lucien interrupted.

The woman looked at Lucien with bored eyes. "Oh, sorry. you seemed unimportant so i didn't notice you." she said, smiling sweetly.

"Ouch. Better feed her, Tamlin cause she bites." Lucien retorted.

Bluntly, Aelin asked, "Why does everyone wear masks? You realize there's no party going on, right?"

"Before we answer any of your questions, princess," Lucien said, making Aelin smile to herself, since she actually was a princess "what's your name?"

"Aelin." She responded, wondering if they were going to bow down to her.

They did not.

"Got a last name?" Tamlin spoke up.

"Do you?" Aelin retorted. Lucien snorted.

"Well, my name is Lucien."

"I didn't ask," Aelin said. "but good to know."

"So, Aelin," Tamlin started, watching Aelin and lucian battle it out with their eyes. "You look-"

"Pretty? Irresistible? Yeah, I know. I would look even better if the closet had anything but these colours." She said, standing up. "well i already found the library, my room, and the bullshit room. Call for me when dinner is ready. I'll be in the library." she said, sauntering off.

Lucian whistled after her, "What a woman." And tamlin nodded, agreeing.