Chapter 3: "Well-behaved"

I could feel my mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water.

Finally I got my vocals back. Clearing my throat, I asked "What did you just call me?"

He smirked, his green eyes held a glint of amusement. "You heard that right, Miss Vista, I called you Kitten." I was speechless. Why the hell would my boss call me Kitten?

"Don't you remember me? I used to come over to your dad's café all the time. You once tried to scare me away by meowing at me because I got the last slice of your favorite carrot cake," he let out a small laugh, recalling the incident.

"From then on I started calling you kitten. Just to irk you. You used to hate that name." He was fully grinning now, with dimples appearing on both of his cheeks. Did I ever mention that I am a sucker for dimples?

I inwardly groaned, berating the twelve year old myself. Why did I have to be such an idiot?

I blushed my pale cheeks, turning them into a dark crimson shade.

A brief knock on the door interrupted us, giving me some time to regain my composure. Mr. Jones instructed him to come in. A man in a blue suit entered clutching a clip file, his face impassive, a mop of salt and pepper on his head.

"Mr. Jones, I attended the interns today. But the intern you suggested..." He flipped the pages over his clip file, "Yes, Armelle Vista was absent today."

"Well, I was present but I lost my way and ended up at the wrong place. I'm really sorry about that."

Mr. Brandon gave me a pointed look, arching an eyebrow at me. "You got lost on an office floor? When it was clearly mentioned in the letter?"

As I was about to formulate my answer, Mr. Jones interrupted me. "It's alright Miss Vista, it happens." He assured me, giving me a small nod.

"Well, Miss Vista, did you at least check the South Wing of the building?" Mr. Brandon asked.

Oh no. I could feel my body being weighed down with sudden dread. The property was divided into two distinct sections, a North and South Wing. It was specifically instructed in the letter that interns are supposed to meet at the South Wing. This was the North Wing.

"I...um-"

"Frank, I think that is enough. It can happen to anyone." For a second, I almost thought Mr. Jones was nearly shouting at him.

Mr. Brandon looked flustered by this sudden outburst. "I apologize, sir."

Ignoring Mr. Brandon's apology, Mr. Jones glanced at me, "Miss Vista, can you please wait outside? Mr. Brandon and I would like to talk in private."

I nodded reaching for the door and closing it behind me, letting out a defeated sigh. I knew that dealing with Mr. Jones was not going to be an simple task. Not at all.

. . .

"Side note, I think Christian Bale was a way better Batman than Ben Affleck," My mother commented over the phone.

"Seriously mom? This is what you wanna talk about while I am worried about losing my job at my first day at work?" I ran my hands over my hair with frustration.

"Oh come on baby. Stop exaggerating it. He probably just wants to talk to his employee in private," she cooed.

"I bet they're discussing how to let me off without being downright mean. I mean, Mr. Jones knows dad personally", I distractedly played with a paper weight in my hand. "Besides, who forgets her way to work? On top of that, who misbehaves in front of her boss? All on the first day?".

"You didn't misbehave. You just pointed out how irrational he was being."

"Right..." I trailed off.

"Miss Vista?" I jerked up from my chair.

"Yes, Mr. Brandon?" I tried to sound nonchalant.

"Mr. Jones wants to see you now."

He left swiftly, leaving me in a jittery mess of emotions. I immediately ended the call with

"May I come in?"

He ushered me in. I took a seat in front of him.

"So I heard you are still in college."

"Yes, my second year."

"What do you plan on majoring in?"

"Business Administration."

"Then why are you here now?"

"Instead of wasting my summer, I thought an internship at Jones Enterprise will look good on my resume."

"Ah yes, I can assure you that it will," He agreed. "Your father told me you are doing well at school?"

"I try my best," I sheepishly shrugged.

He slowly grinned. "How would you like to work as my personal assistant here?"

"As- as your assistant?" I stumbled awkwardly with my words.

"Yes, Miss Vista. As my personal assistant."

"But I have no work experience and I'm just a student in college-"

"And? I think you are quite diligent and determined. I have seen the work you have done for me in that brief time, I must say you are very efficient." He gazed at me with his long lashes. That is not what I expected to hear after what happened few hours ago.

"But I thought you were just about to fire me..." I said, slowly.

"Why would I do that?"

"Because I was being insubordinate."

"Oh yes, we will need to work on that. I like a well-behaved girl both in my office... and in my bed."

I finally looked up, astonished. He smirked seeing my reaction, as if he found humor in me.

"You will be begin tomorrow," The playful demeanor was gone, instead he held a serious expression. "Come at 6:30 AM. Sharp."

With a dismissive flick of his hand, I ushered myself out of the room. And I swear, I felt his eyes on my ass on my way out. Just the thought of that made me squeeze my legs together.

. . .

Edited by unlady