Chapter 16 - Thank you, Dexter Morgan

Rex parked the car at the end of the long driveway and flicked the headlights off. He pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"What a fucking night."

He glanced over at the girl passed out on the back seat.

Evie's damp hair was sprawled out on the seat like a dark halo. Her breathing was uneven and her body was slick with sweat. His large, blood-smeared t-shirt hung off her body, making her look small and fragile.

He groaned and ran his hand through his hair.

None of this would have happened if she had just done as she was told. He had warned her not to fuck with him and what does she do? She goes and pulls this shit.

Despite drinking two bottles of bourbon earlier in the night, he had sobered up pretty bloody quickly after watching his captive bolt into the woods.

He had been fucking ropeable.

Based on the direction she had run, he knew she would end up at the old man's place. Watching her disappear into the cover of the trees, he knew he was going to kill her.

Due to an unexpected turn of events, there was a slight change of plans and he ended up killing his so-called Dad instead.

Oopsie.

Oh well, It wasn't as though he thought of Robert as his father anyway. Branton did, however, so I guess you could say that Robert's death was bound to rattle some cages.

He opened the back door and scooped up her limp body. He frowned as her lips lingered close to his ear, the sound of her shallow breathing annoyingly concerning.

He quickly carried her inside while grumbling to himself about the fact that she was overdosing. That, and the inevitably long clean-up he was in for.

Cleaning up a body was bloody annoying, and messy. So fucking messy.

All he wanted to do was curl up on the sofa in front of the TV with a bottle of Jack Daniels in one hand and a fat joint in the other.

Was that so much to ask for?

He placed Evie on her bed and sighed to himself. "Fuck my life."

He'd searched Robert's house and hit the drug jackpot. The guy was packing more drugs than a '70s rock band. There were medication containers filled with drugs that he'd never even heard of, and he wasn't exactly a stranger when it came to opiates.

He opened one of her eyelids and swore at the sight of her constricted pupils. He turned her on her side, just as he had done in the car, in case she threw up.

He was taking an educated guess that Robert had given her some kind of concoction, which likely included Vicodin and possibly morphine. He'd done a quick Google search and apparently he needed to inject her with Naloxone, which luckily the dirtbag had hidden in his stash.

After injecting the Naloxone into her vein, he quickly grabbed the small bin from the bathroom and placed it next to her. He didn't have to wait long before she bolted upright and launched her face into the bin.

The loud retching sound filled his ears, causing him to click his tongue. "Well.. this is awkward."

Evie continued throwing up until all of the contents in her stomach had been emptied. Eventually, she stopped and closed her eyes.

"Alright, Toots, I'm off," he announced. "I need to go dump rapey's body."

She didn't acknowledge him, just kept her eyes closed.

"Please, don't get up. I'll let myself out," he chirped while pulling the covers over her.

"Oh, and don't die while I'm gone," he warned, before locking the door behind him.

...

Hours later Rex returned. Dirty, bloody, and not surprisingly, in a foul mood.

It had taken hours to bleach the house, wipe his prints, and dispose of Robert's body. He had ended up digging a grave in a nearby cemetery and burying the bastard.

"Thank you, Dexter Morgan," Rex joked, as he dragged himself up the stairs.

Unlocking Evie's door, he was surprised to find that she wasn't in her bed. The room was unusually messy with the duvet and pillows thrown carelessly to the floor. He raised his eyebrow at the sight of his bloodied t-shirt which was also lying on the floor.

The sound of running water lured him into the bathroom.

The sexy mental image of catching her in the shower was quickly shattered at the sight of her.

Evie looked horrible. Worse than horrible, she looked like the friggin crypt keeper.

Her skin was as white as a creepy porcelain doll and her hair was a wild, untamed mess. Based on the way she was hunched against the wall, he could tell that she was having trouble standing.

Her unfocused gaze landed on him. "Get out," she croaked.

He yawned in response. "No can do, Babycakes. It's nap time but I need a shower first."

He quickly stripped and threw his filthy clothes in the corner before stepping into the shower. She kept her head bowed as the hot water sprayed down on her. He assumed that she didn't have the energy to protest, and probably knew that he wouldn't listen even if she did.

"You're kind of hogging the water," he accused. He placed his hands on her waist and manoeuvred her to the side. She allowed herself to be shuffled along, giving him enough space to squeeze in under the water's spray.

He sighed loudly in contentment as he ran his fingers through his hair, the water gradually turning brown as it rinsed the blood and dirt from his skin. Evie kept her eyes closed as she leaned back to rest her head against the tiles. He couldn't help but notice that she hadn't tried to have a sneaky peak, which he found a little annoying.

"Be a doll and wash me."

She kept her eyes closed. "I don't think so."

He opened his mouth, filled it with water and playfully sprayed it at her. "You promised to do one thing for me if I found you in ten minutes."

"You cheated," she retorted. "You didn't wait five minutes before coming to look for me."

He grabbed the body wash and forced it into her hand. "I never agreed to that. Don't be a sore loser."

She slowly opened her eyes and unenthusiastically looked down at the coconut body wash in her hand. She met his face with a mixture of exhaustion and annoyance.

He flashed her a wink causing her to sigh loudly.

"No funny stuff," she demanded while lathering her hands with the sweet-smelling foam. His deviant expression had her pointing her finger in warning.

"Alright, deals a deal. But I can't promise that you'll be able to keep your hands off me."

She ignored his comment as she slapped his chest and started rubbing.