107 Date Night: Midori

Midori scurried through her apartment. Everything was prepared for his visit so far. She went one more time through her mental checklist. The apartment was cleaned, she had freshly bathed, put on some decent make-up, had water boiling in the kitchen for the Miso soup and set up the table. The water for the tea was also cooking. She couldn't do anymore. Her eyes wandered to her clock. A quarter to seven. She guessed that he would probably come five minutes earlier. She almost went crazy from waiting.

She went to her bookshelf and fished out her scrapbook. She flipped through the pages and looked at the pictures. She had helped so many people, but it was not enough. It would never be enough. So many were injured every day. Physically, mentally and emotionally. Despite its beauty this world was unfortunately a cruel place.

The doorbell rang. Midori startled and put the album back into place. She looked at the clock. Five to seven. He was absolutely on time, as she had expected. Nervously, she hurried to the front door, stroked her light green dress smooth, checked if her bun still was okay, and then pressed the intercom.

"Yes?"

"Good evening, Midori-san. Here's Yoshiro Takagi."

"I'll let you in. I live on the eighth floor."

She pressed the button for the door opener. Depending on where the elevator was, he would be here in two to three minutes. There was a knock at her door. Surprised, she looked through the peephole. He was already standing in front of it. The nurse breathed again deeply, then she opened her apartment door.

"Good evening, Yoshiro-san." She bowed down before him.

"Good evening, Midori-san." He bowed too.

She studied him in detail with her green eyes. He wore black leather shoes and a black suit. A dark red shirt served as a background for a black tie.

Judging from his smooth skin, he had shaved and even his hair was for once not disheveled, but neatly combed.

"Wow... you really dressed up nicely. Are you trying to impress me? I feel a little underdressed."

She looked down at her plain, light green dress. It was no match for his elegant suit. In his left hand, she discovered a small bouquet.

The man looked at her and held his mouth slightly open, as he pondered a counter.

"Actually, I wanted to take you to the opera, but like this, I can't take you along." He grinned innocently.

Midori laughed loudly. "You really practiced. I am impressed."

"Thank you."

"Come in." With her hand she pointed through the doorway.

"Gladly."

The Oni entered her apartment and pulled his shoes off, which he deposited with military precision on a shoe mat. He threw a superficial glance into the apartment.

"Do you want a pair of slippers? You can also go in your socks or barefoot. As you want."

He refused. "My socks are enough. Thank you."

"Good. Follow me."

Yoshiro cleared his throat and held the bouquet out. "Here. For you."

The nurse looked at the bouquet of white lilies, then she glanced at her guest. "You are very cute, you know that?"