21 - If Only For A Week

"Carmen, you have to let it go."

"What do I do?"

"Relax first," Elijah whispered. I nodded in agreement. "There's nothing you can do but watch. We can't interfere."

Carmen let out a frustrated breath and I carefully released my hold on her arm. She was just about to march on stage and ruin the whole show.

It was recital time and everything was going smoothly until one poor little girl tripped and stumbled in the middle of a dance. Carmen wasn't made at the student or anything but she wanted to race on stage to help. That would ruin the show though.

"You have to let her fix the mistake," I said quietly. Carmen, Elijah, and I were all watching the show from backstage. We couldn't be too loud or else we would disrupt the dancers on stage.

We held shows downtown at a little place Carmen rented that had a stage. All that was in the audience was really just parents and family members of the students.

The girl who fell did get back on her feet and got back into the routine. She had a look of embarrassment on her face but she didn't mess up for the rest of the dance.

"Alright let's get the next group ready to go on. Don't forget that you two will be performing that number from Black Swan after the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" one," Carmen said shuffling off backstage to find the youngest group of girls.

I turned to Elijah and gave him a panicked look. "When were we supposed to do that exactly?"

"I don't know," he replied. "I guess Carmen failed to mention that in-between all of her issues with family and her house and the bank."

"The bank?" I asked eyeing him. "What has she said about that?"

"Just that she isn't happy with them. They're fixing her issues though so I'm not sure what's really up."

Carmen peeked her head out from a dark corner. "You two better get ready!"

Elijah and I exchanged confused expressions. "Shall we just do our routine from last year?"

I sighed and grumbled, "I'll go put my wings on."

I sunk away to where we had a designated dressing room area. There really wasn't a room but we had big shades blocking the view. I already had on a white leotard and tutu as well as constricting ballet shoes. I took a moment to take a deep breath and make sure I was alone.

I rolled my shoulders back and flexed my neck as my snow white angel wings unfolded from my back. The wings connected to the abnormally long bone of my shoulder blade. From that curved bow shaped bone was a thin layer of skin where pure white feathers were packed tightly together. The ends of my wings ended at the back of my knees and began about an inch above my shoulders.

I could move them slightly and stretch them out but there was no logical way for me to use those extra limbs to fly off the ground. Being the descendent of an angel meant I had to grow my wings in instead of just having them. They grew from my shoulder blades once I reached my immortal age. I went through a horrible sickness where my body went through the growth change. It was one of the worst times in my life.

Now, I could fold them away into my back like Japanese origami. They were like every other muscle in the body though and tended to get stiff. It felt nice to be able to have an excuse to have them out in public. They just seemed like oddly real props.

I left the dressing room area and joined Elijah. He was already in costume as well in a tight black leotard. Let's just say that his comfort in the outfit certainly confirmed his sexuality.