Chapter Twelve

"Imbroglio (n.) an altercation or complicated situtation."

"Arm up," Steve commanded, "Right foot forward and go for the jab."

Erin learned how to defend herself from a young age. Her brother and mother had made sure of that. Her mother put her in a self defense class when she was 9 and she began boxing with Jamie a year later. She picked up martial arts in high school too, but without consistent training the last few years, Erin quickly realized just how lazy she had become. 

The first training session with Steve had been torture. Her posture was all wrong and most of her shots were lucky instinct and muscle memory. She was so sore and tired after the first day, she slept straight through a 12 hour night. It took two weeks of brushing her up on basic combat skills  before she could even think about being a match for him. After a while she started remembering everything she had learned. Her fighting senses became sharper and she was able use her speed against Steve's brute strength. 

Yesterday she had finally bested him and he decided she was worthy enough to move onto knife fighting. Erin knew how to handle a gun, but she had never learned the art of knife fighting. She had never needed to use a weapon in that kind of up close fight. Erin had been training with Steve and Bucky all morning learning the basic movements and how not to cut off her own fingers in the process.

"You're teaching her how to avoid getting hit with a knife, but when are you going to teach her to use one?" Bucky said from the sidelines.

"The best way to use something is to know all of its weak points first." Steve replied. He turned back to Erin, "Okay, try dodging it this time. Bring your left arm up and try to disarm me."

Erin nodded and backed up a few steps, readying her stance. Steve brought his hand up and made his move. He first went for the right side of her torso. She escaped by dodging but noticed his other hand move up. She ducked and avoided his blow. She knew what was coming next. She brought her left hand up and blocked Steve's right arm from connecting any blow from hitting her. She twisted his arm so he lost all leverage he had on her.

Steve smirked, "Good," He backed away, "You're getting better."

Erin thanked him by raising her eyebrow.

Steve looked over at Bucky. "Here," He said, "Watch us. Study our moves, defenses, and attack patterns."

Erin looked over at Bucky who simply shrugged.

"Okay," She said stepping aside.

Bucky took her place, "You sure you're up for this old man?" Bucky teased, "If I remember correctly last time we had a little knife fight I kicked your ass."

"Yeah well, your memory is shit," Steve said readying his fight stance.

"Then you won't mind if I use the real thing?" Bucky said pulling a knife from his belt.

Erin's eyes widened, but Steve wasn't phased. "Be my guest."

It was funny the way Bucky acted around Steve. It was so completely different from how he was around the team. It was interesting the see his guard fall slightly whenever it was just the two of them. She felt like she was looking through a time portal and getting to see who Bucky truly had been. They were just two boys from Brooklyn. The glimpses she saw gave her a warm feeling inside, something like hope.

Quick as lightening, Bucky made his first attack. He went for Steve's side, but Steve blocked it. Up, down, side to side, Bucky tried to hit Steve in any vulnerable spot he had.