#19

NINETEEN

'There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness.' - Maria Mitchell

Considering we own it; I've only been to Windsor Castle a handful of times in my life. But I do remember this: the architecture is one of the most striking I have ever seen, steeped in royal history. The entire place looks as if it's come out of a fairy tale, from the perfectly pruned gardens to the torrents to the stunning artwork that covers every wall. Even the drive up to the castle is whimsical. From the carefully planted trees to the relaxing noise of the fountain we drive around. I edge closer from my seat and peer at the parked cars, watching as several of the girls step out, looking up to the castle before them and admiring the view for themselves.

The view of the front steps makes me think back to the last time I was here. It was several years earlier during the summer and I remember the day being roaring hot – almost stifling so. Mike and I had played runaway from our summer tutor and had gone swimming in the lake located on the grounds. We had swum in that lake for hours. The memory alone makes my heart stumble as the car comes to a stop and the door is opened for me.

"I thought the palace was beautiful, but this is gorgeous,"

I glance at the voice beside me of another girl stepping outside of her car and then I scan the steps. Every girl looks spellbound, even Henna whose eyes are wide and full of admiration.

The girl who spoke turns to me and reaches out her hand. "I don't really think we have had a proper chance to speak yet," she says as she shakes my hand and drops into a curtsey. "I'm Amberley." She doesn't once let go of her smile.

"It's nice to properly meet you," I smile back at the petite girl in front of me. I recognise her – of course – but she has kept to herself for most of this and I appreciate the way she has been clamouring for favour at every chance she can get.

"I can't believe we are here," she says blowing out a breath. "It's better than the pictures depict."

It's now as she talks that I notice her accent. Dutch, I'm pretty sure. She has that pretty Netherlands look about her. Very girl next door with brown hair that is almost always in some kind of plait, her large brown eyes suit her face and she's got remarkable features. She's very pretty.

"It is beautiful," I agree. "I used to love coming here as a kid."

"I could imagine," she says with a sweet smile. "Isn't it crazy to think this will be yours one day?" she says it wistfully, looking up at the exterior in awe.

It is crazy, I want to tell her.

"I think we're supposed to be following them," Amberley says and gestures up the steps to the girls who are filing through the entrance. "After you, Your Highness."

"Eva, please." I smile and we walk up the steps together and into the foyer. The more I am in this place, the more I think back to the memories I have here. There is not one single bad one. I almost feel protective over it, like I want to shove everyone else out and remember it the way I have always done.

"And I thought it couldn't get any better," Amberley does a spin and takes in the entire foyer. A tapestry of my grandfather hangs on one wall and next to it a picture of my grandmother. The other wall is decorated in brilliant wallpaper, adorned with gold swirls that catch the light flooding from the doorway.

"Surely you must have seen things like this before," I ask her, watching the way her eyes widen at the large, curved staircase to the right of us.