Chapter 1 - Escape

Forgotten 

Chapter 1 - Escape

.

I stood up straighter, leaning my back against the wall to keep myself from moving. The men usually locked their eyes on smeone that moved, attracting their attention. Oh, sure, they also looked for the pretty ones and the ones they liked more, but if you moved, their eyes studied you even more so than usual. They also liked those that didn't meet their eyes. 

I knew from personal experience. 

There were eight others against the wall with me, all around the same age as I was- seventeen and up. Three of us were males while the other five were females, all of us dressed in white rags. In front of us, there was a row of kids younger than us lined up, shoulder to shoulders- fourteen to sixteen. In front of them was yet another down of more younger children- eleven to thirteen- and two more rows before them- eight to ten and five to seven. 

My eyes caught sight of a messy set of red, tangled curls on the very first row. She was with those around five years of age, where they officially started work. The younger ones, the babies, were still being taught the ways, taught what should be expected. 

Turning away from her, I stare the man who was being followed by Richard as he looked between the rows, searching for who he liked more. He stuck close to the row that held those with the age between eight to ten and I scowled to myself as he looked the kids over. There was a glint in his eyes as he stopped while looking at a particular girl with straight golden hair. 

He reached out to touch her hair and she moved away sniffling, causing Richard to growl in anger and the man laugh. "I'll take this one. For the night" he adds, curling his fingers on her elbow and pulling her from the line as her shoulders shook. 

Richard nods slowly, still glaring at the little girl before turning his eyes up to the man, "It's fifty per hour" he says, narrowing his eyes at the man when he scowls in displeasure. "And I only accept cash. Everything in advance, too" he adds, turning to walk to the door. 

The man grumbles something under his breath and even with my hearing I didn't quite catch what he says before he's yanking the girl beside him. They stop by the door and my eyes lock on Richard's hand as he reaches into his pocket to take out jingling keys. I lick my lips as he unlocks the iron cuffs from the little girl, leaving the iron collar around her neck before they disappear out the door. 

When he's gone and the guards standing post stand back on the wall, the lines break apart and small familiar groupes are formed. Small chatter raises in the large room and I stretch my arms as I lower myself to sit on the ground, having a few seconds to myself before a girl with red curls is dashing towards me. I scowl as Mia drops beside me and gives me a grin, crossing her legs beneath her as she sat across from me. "Hi, Cody." 

"Cuz we're totally not standing here" Will rolls his eyes when we look up at him, he and Jamie heaving out a sigh as they drop beside us. Mia smiles at them before standing and crawling on Jamie's lap, ignoring his grunt of annoyance. Despite his personality, he was someone very important to me. Only these three wolves were. 

Jamie was short for his age- even more so than I was. He was fifteen and he was very beautiful. Maybe that was the reason he was almost always being chosen. That would also explain his short temperament. His light hair was very short, just long enough to be moved by air and his eyes were a deep green that reminded me of the first clean, green shirt given to a little kid a couple months ago. His lips were also full, which reminded me of a couple girls in here but I would never tell him that. He was pretty. 

And Will. Will was taller than all of us, at twenty. He had more meat than most of us but nowhere near chubby. It was just in him to appear stronger, more attractive. He was the one being chosen by men with nice suits. I think they preferred him because of is lean body. His hair was a dirty brown, his eyes a deep caramel brown. His skin was soft and olive, and he was very brave. He was very important to me. I couldn't really explain how he meant to me but I cherised him. And it wasn't anything weird either. I had no name for how I felt with him beside me. It was more than that.