Chapter 22

My thoughts are on overdrive with questions.

Who is he?

Where did he come from?

Why is he watching me?

I slowly drive through the cemetery gates and glance from left to right but I can only see a few headstones just in front, reflecting off my headlights. It's too damn dark to see anything beyond them. I put the car in park and reach for the flashlight in the glovebox. The one my mother kept for emergencies. Not sure this is an emergency but I do know I'll go completely insane if I don't get any answers soon. I test it and it works...thank God.

Stepping out of the car, I notice the air is different than it was at the hotel. It's chilly and wet. Like rain might be coming.

That's strange.

Shrugging it off I try to focus on the task at hand. Finding The Watchman.

Gravel under my feet disrupt the quiet night. Or, morning, actually. Wait a minute. I don't hear crickets or birds or anything. This place is as silent as a padded room.

My heart starts to beat faster and I'm not sure if it's because I'm walking up a slight hill toward my brother's grave or the fact that I'm definitely starting to freak out. It doesn't take long for the goosebumps to ripple up my arms because the second my flashlight finds him crouched down in front of Zack's headstone, I stop in my tracks.

Calm down, Kate. Calm down.

I stand frozen, still pointing the flashlight on his back yet completely wordless as I stare. Seconds go by but it feels like an eternity when he finally stands up. I can't see his face and I'm astonished all over again at his enormous size.

"Turn it off." he says.

Without saying a word, I look down and immediately hit the off switch and shove the flashlight in my pocket. When I look up, he's facing me but all I see is the outline of him.

He turns to walk away but looks back as if checking to see if I'm following him.

And, I am...