Chapter 7

It's been a couple of days since my dream and so far I have ignored what James said and haven't talked to The Winter Soldier. It's my turn to make supper tonight and tonight I've decided to make soup, since it seems to be the only thing that I can't burn. I'm a terrible chef. Night whines and begs for me to give him some, "No Night, you can't have this."

Night whines and walks over to my pallet and lays down on it, glaring at me as I place the lid on the pot. I sigh and sit down at the table and pull out 117's laptop and open up my file. So far, I've learned that I can steal other people energy, life source, senses, and other stuff to use to my advantage.

I open up a file that say TOP SECRET. Ooo, must be juicy. A picture of me being dragged away from someone's freezer tube popes up. I scroll down and read that the person in the tube is none other than the famous Winter Soldier himself. Hhhmm. Why would I have to be dragged away from his tube?

Night whines and I exit out of my file and close the laptop. I look up on the counter and see Ogie's first graded homework and smile. We enrolled Ogie in school a couple weeks ago and so far he loves it. I bring my hand up to the dog tag around my neck and rub my thumb over it and look over at my gear. A Hydra Super Soldier gear.

I hear footsteps and grab ahold of a knife, just in case it's some unwanted guest. Someone knocks on the door in the code that I told him to do whenever he came home and opens the door. I smile at Ogie who smiles back at me. He no longer looks like a walking skeleton, but instead has some meat on his arms.

"How was school?"

"Great!" he says and walks over to me and sets down his book bag. He sniffs the air. "Soup?"

"Yeah, it's the only thing that I can cook. Well, beside sandwiches."

Ogie giggles, "That's pretty sad. 259"

I sigh, "I know."

Night walks over and presses his head against my leg. An image of a burning tent crosses my vision and then I'm no longer in the apartment, instead I'm standing across the burning tent. I watch as men rush with pales full of water and try to put the fire out. Two men walk towards me, one a tall muscular blonde, the other a tall brunet.

"Well Kyra, I don't think they'll be letting you in there for awhile." The brunet says with a smile and raps his arms around me.

"No, I don't think so." I reply like I'm reading a script. That's not what I mean to say! It's like I'm a puppet and someone is pulling the strings, my body is no longer mine to control.

I recognize the brunet as James, he smiles at me and plants a warm kiss on my forehead. he lets me go and I take a look at the blonde and am baffled to find that it's Steve Rogers. Did I know him before?

"Sorry Steve, I know that place had your favorite food in there. Sorry that I burnt it down with my terrible cooking."

Both James and Steve laugh. "No problem Kyra, it was an accident."

The vision blurs and I'm back to the present. Ogie is looking at my concerned and like he's waiting for me to answer something. "What?"

"There's this parent meeting thing where you go in and meet my teacher. It's tonight and I want you to go." he says.

"Tonight? How come I'm just now hearing about this? And why not 284? He's much better with people than I am."

He looks down, "I had asked him, but he thought that it be best if you went instead. I asked him because I know how you like to watch that building all the time."

I sigh, "What time do we have to be there?"

"Ten minutes." he mumbles and looks up.

"Ten minutes?" I yell and stand up. You've got to be joking! There's no way we're going to make it in ten minutes! "Do we have to go to it?"