29

Cassandra stood at the edge of the cemetery, her vision lifted and her eyes scanned over the curled iron bars, bent into 'Lafayette cemetery'

The clouds had blanketed the sun, so only a few Rays broke through, the rest of the sky was a deep grey colour, it mirrored everyone's mood.

She stepped through the boundary and entered the cemetery, where-from all of the pathways down the side, emerged witches from all time zones. A few original ones, and then the recruits made in the 300 years, they didn't do anything, only formed a walkway for them to walk through. And they just stared.

"Where is she?!" Cassie shouted, not moving just yet until she saw the main culprits "Dianne"

But it wasn't Dianne that showed her face, the blonde witch, who looked the same as she used to, however she wore a shorter dress, she was the one to emerge at the end of the man made aisle.

"Eloise" she sighed "should have known"

Without a word, only the straight glare at her, Eloise walked behind the tombs, a silent bid to invite her to follow.

Cassie turned back and glanced at Elijah, he shook his head slowly. No, it was a bad idea, look at how many witches were here, this whole thing was a bad idea.

But Cassie stepped forwards anyway, her determined mind set straight on the direction Eloise walked. She strode forward.

Elijah went to follow, but the third witches in the line held out their arms and stopped him. Usually, two witches wouldn't have really halted him, but as he pushed past, the line of witches created a circle, blocking where Elijah needed to be. "Leave now, vampire or you will face the wrath that is soon to come to your kind" one spoke out from the others "take this time for your family, for it will be your last"

Meanwhile, Cassandra didn't realise Elijah had been held back. She was too busy following the vision of the friend she used to know.

She followed her through the archway of an old wooden tomb, ducking through the piece of fabric hanging there for privacy and into the room where they were waiting for her.

"Eloise, I see you're still kissing Dianne's..." Cassandra looked at Dianne sitting on the chair in the middle of the room, her eyebrows raised. Though they didn't mean anything to each other, Cassandra did still seem to respect her elders "shoes" she substituted what she was going to say.

"And you've changed, though you still are the insanely out of control monster you already were, I see thee hundred years in isolation doesn't do well on the immortal mind" Eloise sniped back. But Dianne held her hand up and silently asked for her to be quiet, it was her time to speak.

"Cassandra, it is nice to see you looking well" she spoke kindly and gently, something far different to what Cassie had ever heard her speak. "And free"

Cassie raised her eyebrows "okay?" She replied in such confusion "look, if you are here to kill me, Just do it now, I cannot be bothered with everyone's incompetence"

"We aren't here to kill you" Dianne replied, standing from her chair "we are here to recruit you, like the old times"

"Recruit me?" She asked in return "what ever makes you think I would join you?" She intended to offend, but it seemed as if she was ready for that kind of retaliation.

"I knew that would be your answer" Dianne said, walking over to an archway draped with another piece of fabric, her hand grasped the end of it "so I brought someone here you'd actually listen to"

She pulled the fabric away and revealed the only woman that could actually be a voice of reason I'm Cassandra's head. "Mother" her lips parted as she took in the sight of her own mother, back from the dead, looking far better than how Cassandra left her. That was her biggest regret, as she sat alone in the cells, she regretted ever laying a finger on her mother. Though what her mom did was incredibly wrong, she did try and do it for Cassie's benefit and years ago she didn't realise it.

"Cassandra, darling" her mother strode up and took her into her arms. She pushed her daughter away, both hands now holding her shoulders as she looked her up and down "I'm so happy to see you well, what on earth did those vampires do to you?"

"They didn't" Cassandra reminded herself to be strong "I did it to myself. An attempt to fix the mistake you all caused me"

"Now now, Cassandra, you need to drop this facade" her mother took the lecture tone to her voice as she tried to tell her otherwise "I know you're not like this"

"You don't know me anymore, mother" Cassandra replied "events have conditioned me to act like this, to avoid hurt, to stop me from being weak"

"If you join us, again, help us wipe out the vampires, you no longer have to be this way, you'll never be hurt" she convinced her

"How could you ask that of me though, mother?" Cassie squinted and tilted her head "for I am one of those monsters you seek to wipe out"

"But you were a witch first"

"But was I ever a witch? Because if I was, I wouldn't have been convinced to join you under circumstances that I could be fixed?" Cassie listed so many good comebacks, leaving her mother speechless. She opened her mouth to reply but Cassandra continued "anyway, if I did join you, how would you guarantee my life? If you kill Elijah, I am sired to him, I will die too"

"We have ways, we can unsire you, we have spells now that with a bit of work, we can remove the vampire from you, we can remove the blood lust from you, we can fix you sweetheart" Her mother listed "you'll return to your natural self, and we will promise to do what we said we'd do, we can give you permanent powers. No more suffering. You can return to your old self, you can return to us"

"The last time you offered to fix me, you put me in a little bit of a predicament" Cassie replied "what happens if I say no?"

"Then, unfortunately my dear you are the enemy" she told her

It took all of her strength, but she leant in and looked her mother dead in the eyes "you can crawl back to the depths of hell that you have come from. All of you can"

She swiftly turned and exited the tomb, before reaching the corner where Elijah would be standing. She wiped her cheeks from the tears she accidentally let out. When she was confident it seemed like she wasn't crying, the walked around the corner and pushed past the wall of witches, stopping Elijah from getting past.

"Cassandra.." Elijah went to ask her what had happened, but she walked past him, she didn't want to stop.

"Let's go, Elijah" she demanded