four

Day 2 of 60

Hoseok sighed in relief when he awoke and felt the familiar movement of his legs. He wriggled out his legs and sat upright, wincing as the pain in his head blossomed. 

He looked beside him at the blonde male looking out the window, food still untouched resting at the foot of his bed. With the daylight streaming and illuminating the room, Hoseok could clearly see his defined features. 

Tattoos were lined on his blanched arms and his hair looked unruly and unkempt, much like his personality, the younger presumed. He saw his face turn away from the window and looked down at his notebook, continuing to write something. 

It's none of my business, Hoseok thought as he pressed the nurse button for his breakfast. 

The latter male looked over at him and Hoseok locked eyes with him. His eyes lingered on Yoongi's empty ones, flashing with something, before looking away again. 

He doesn't even know it's me, Hoseok let the thought speak to him. 

The brunette climbed out of bed and let his feet touch the cold floor before slipping into soft, warm slippers. He shivered at the cold and tried to stand up, but the foreign movement made him stumble and he felt his knees hit the floor. 

"Fuck," he winced in pain and tried to move, but the throbbing in his head was blurring his vision. Seconds later, he felt warm hands on his arms and he looked at the familiar tattooed hands. 

"Are you okay?" Yoongi asked him with genuine concern. 

Hoseok felt a rare emotion, anger, as he pushed away the older and held onto the bed, propping himself up. 

"Don't touch me." Hoseok muttered. He turned away to walk to the bathroom, but not before hearing the slight whisper of an apology from the older's hoarse mouth. 

___

Hoseok felt like a lifeless corpse, walking around the hospital's hallways. He hated the place, with its constant movement and laughter of strangers. The tall windows illuminating the cold autumn of November, making him feel nostalgic. He wanted to drink apple cider and bake pumpkin pie, not take pills for headaches and drink antibiotics.

He saw a poster stacked by a red pin on the bulletin board, examining the words written on them;

What would you do if today was your last day?

Cry?

He hated seeing the sponsored posters of the Make A Wish foundation around the bright hospital's wards. As if the damned foundation would be able to perfect some dying person's life one last time. 

He shook his head at the ridiculous question and walked away. It wasn't that he wanted to roam and explore, it was because he didn't want to be in the same room as him.

How could Hoseok sit two meters away from the person who took away months from his life? The person who prevented him from accomplishing his lifelong dream.

"Hoseok!" He heard a familiar voice call out to him.

He turned around to see a smiling Taehyung walking towards him. Hoseok brightened up as they met closer to each other, glad to see a friend.

"Your parents want to talk to you, they're in the cafeteria."

Together, they walked and Hoseok caught himself wondering, as he stared at the countless strangers around him; how many of them knew when they were going to die?
And if so, what would they do?

'And now that I know my remaining time, what was I supposed to do?
Did humans that knew they were slowly walking towards death have some kind of task they had to accomplish?'

Hoseok darkened at his thoughts, realizing that death already seemed like an ordinary conversation with himself.

They reached the older's parents and Taehyung excused himself, walking away as the lab coat swiftly moved around his tall torso.

As he sat down, he looked at the apple cider already ordered for him. Yet the sight of his favourite drink in his favourite season didn't put him ease. Fifty eight days from now, he thought, I'll never be able to taste this.

"Hoseok, we've decided to take action against that man."

Mr. Jung looked at his wife before proceeding.

"We're hiring lawyer Kim Namjoon to fight for our case. He'll make sure that vile man receives the worst kind of punishment."

Hoseok expected this, knowing his parents weren't going to sit still. But he really saw no point in doing this.

He didn't care what Yoongi was going through nor did he care about what happened to him; it wasn't going to change the fact that Hoseok was dying.

Hoseok burned his tongue on the hot drink, feeling the liquid trickle down his throat harshly. He coughed in his mug, sensing his parents exchange worried looks. It was getting really agitating for him; the pitying looks.

Nevertheless, the grim brunette soon made his back to the room, clutching a notebook he'd bought from the gift shop alongside a pack of black gel pens.

It was a cloudy day now as his room was no longer illuminated by sunlight. Instead, he quietly sat on his bed, refusing to look at the blonde male whom, out the corner of his eye, was once again writing in his own notebook. Hoseok would frequently hear him whisper words to himself, as if he was trying to find a rhyme.

Was he writing poetry? Hoseok thought as he opened up his own notebook, fresh sound of leather cracking and blank, white paper staring back just like the paper skin that breathed through his pores.

He uncapped the fresh pen, scrawling the date and seeing the black ink wet the paper and soon dry along the red margin.

But when he finished writing the date, he didn't know what else to write.

His mind wandered back to the poster's sentence and the thought which evaded his mind painstakingly earlier on.

"Y-Yoongi. . ."

The blonde male jerked his head up as he was taken aback from the gentle tone of his roommate's whisper. He cleared his throat and responded.

"Yes?"

Hoseok took a deep breath, wondering why the hell he was asking him of all people.

"W-what would you do if you knew when you were going to die?"

Hoseok's lips dried and he glided his tongue along his lower lip, not denying he was damn curious of the latter's answer.

Yoongi didn't think, couldn't think, for even a moment because the words slipped out of his mouth before he could stop them, as he inspected the brunette whom avoided his eyes.

"I'd live and live and live for all the days I hadn't."

___