Chapter 40

When I first decided on this plot, the people I told this plot to thought I was being very brave to show a woman cheating on her husband. But I was determined to write about it. Why? Are women not human beings? Can we not make mistakes? I knew one thing clearly I will not be supported, Nawal will be lashed by the readers and I was prepared from day 1. But that's my point, a man can be pardoned for all kinds of crime, cheating like Faraz, sexually abusing like Fahd, emotionally abusing like Salman, sleeping with multiple women like Daud but a woman slips once she is being called a whore. This is said by female readers let us not imagine what others will think in the society. And we are soon going to see the repercussion in this story when a woman slips up.... it is far worse than any man would suffer. And I am sure then I will be getting comments that she deserves it. But that is not what Islam says. All what I am saying will make more sense in the coming 5-7 chapters when we see turn of events.

--------------------------------------------

Daud's lips were moving on hers insistently. She was slowly falling into this familiar spiral of passions that he was weaving. His hands roving over her back. Her eyes fluttered and slowly it dawned,

What am I doing?

Her hands on his shoulder slid lower to his chest and she pushed him away from her before his fingers had released the buttons of her heavy woollen jacket from its moorings. She blinked several times and drew back increasing the distance between them, plastering herself against the cold window pane of the car. She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. She was shocked what had led to this? Shaking her head, her jaw clenched, she looked deathly into Daud's hooded gaze, "This is wrong. How could you?" she hissed.

His lips spread in a sly smirked, "Don't tell me you didn't enjoy. You were kissing me back."

Her frown increased and there was a distasteful taste in her mouth. She was shaken by his attitude, "You are being very crude." She spun around in the seat and clutched door handle, "I can't stay here anymore."

His hand gripped her elbow to still her but she nudged him hard nearly jabbing his chest that he let go. Picking up her paper shopping bags in the car, she scurried out of the car and ran off to her own vehicle without a backward glance. Before opening the door, she hastily rotated around to make sure no one had seen what had happened just a few moments ago. Relieved, not to recognize anyone in sight, she sloppily dropped the bags on the passenger seat of the car and slumped in the driving seat.

What had she done?

How could she let him?

His reaction repulsed her so much, her stomach churned in revulsion. She was sweating terribly under her jacket. With shaking hands, she unfastened the buttons and took a deep breath. Taking out a pocket tissue out of her handbag, she wiped her perspiring forehead and cleaned off the remnants of her lipstick. She grasped the steering wheel and focused on slowing her turbulent heartbeat.

An image of Salman came in front of her. She took a deep breath, nothing happened. It was nothing. It meant nothing to her. She would never meet Daud alone anymore. She was treading on dangerous grounds and she didn't want to risk her harmonious life to this recklessness.

With this in mind, she flicked the car key in the ignition and her gaze lingered on the paper bag that contained the wallet. She will give Salman the gift tonight. She was not going to ponder over what happened rather she had to focus on her present relationship.

A firm resolution, she squared her shoulders and drove off to the exit of the car park.

****

There was still time for Salman to come back from work as soon as she reached home, she discarded her jacket and hijab on the bed carelessly and rushed to the kitchen. She was going to make a wonderful meal for him.