Oberyn Martell X Reader - Missing (Requested)

The free cities had always been your home, you loved them, they were stunning and the sun never stopped shining. You didn't often get visitors in your home town and when you did they were normally just travellers passing through. The idea of a high-born prince coming through was unthought of, though it was proven to be completely possible with the arrival of Prince Oberyn and his travel companions.

The sky was a symphony of dark reds, bright oranges and soft yellows as the sun began to set over the northern hills which stood like a giant overlooking your town. You were sitting on the roof of your parent's home, resting precariously on the slippery tiles as you watched the changing sky and listened to the hum of people speaking on the street below you. You were surprised when the hum silenced to reveal only the sounds of horses hooves hitting against the dusty road. Leaning forward and looking over the edge of the roof, you gazed into the small throng of people to try and find who had set the crowd quiet. There was a man sitting atop his horse, smiling at the people of the town and greeting everyone individually when you slipped sending a tile falling from the roof and causing him to snap his head up capturing your eyes with his own and grinning at you as you scurried away from the edge of the roof and out of his eyesight.

"Y/N?" you heard your friend Holly's voice call in excitement as she clambered over the tiles to place herself on the top of the slanted roof next to you. "Did you see who's here?" she questioned as she took your hand, clambering the last few steps to the very top of the roof.

"Who is he?" you asked as you leant forwards to get another glimpse of the handsome stranger who had come to your town. You were so caught in your own thoughts that you didn't register what Holly had told you, until she shook your arm to get your attention.

"I said, it's Prince Oberyn," she told you, sighing in frustration when you looked at her in confusion. "From Dorne, you dummy, his sister was married to one of the Targaryen's," she added. Holly had always been a lot more entertained by the idea of Kings and Queens than you were. You'd always thought that the knights were more interesting. "I heard that he is a great fighter too, the one who crippled Willas Tyrell," she murmured, smiling when she saw that she had peaked your interest.

"I knew I recognised the name," you joked and she chuckled at you. "But he didn't really cripple him, it was the damned horse that did that bit, he simply knocked him off. It isn't as hard as people make it out to be," you informed her as she rolled her eyes at you with a small laugh.

"You're too picky," she told you before standing up and making her way back to the other side of the roof where it became easier to climb down through your bedroom window. "Come on, we need to meet him," she called out as she disappeared over the edge and into the window, out of your vision. You huffed out a breath, knowing better than to refuse to do as she told you, as you moved over to the window.

Once inside, you saw Holly riffling through your chest, looking at your dresses in deep concentration. "What are you doing?" you asked and she span to hold one of the dresses up to you.

"Well, you can't go to meet a prince dressed like that," she told you, scrunching up her face and putting the dress she was holding back down, picking up another one and holding it up as she had done before.

"What's wrong with the dress I'm wearing?" you questioned her with your eyebrows raised in disbelief and she stifled a little chuckle trying to cover it up with a loud cough.

"It's nice, it's just not... Prince worthy," she told you, keeping her voice as sweet as honey, and carrying on with her search for the perfect dress. "Have you got anything green? You really suit green," she added turning to look at you with her hands on her hips like she was your mother.

"Yes, I have a green dress," you told her, grimacing as she started to pull out the contents of your chest. "It should be in their somewhere, it has these bead things here," you added as you awkwardly gestured at your torso, making a smile come to her lips. This time it was your turn to roll your eyes as she pulled out dress after dress, in search of the one you had tried to describe.

You settled onto your bed closing your eyes only for them to shoot open when you heard Holly exclaim. "It's perfect," she gasped as she held the dress up. "Get dressed, we're going to meet a Prince," she added as she handed it to you whilst biting her lip excitedly.

*Time Skip*

You had been standing in the square of the town for well over an hour, and had yet to be introduced to the Prince, though you weren't altogether too upset at the fact. You weren't nearly as enthusiastic as Holly, who you stood next to as she continued to watch him, preening herself continuously. Once the prince announced he would be leaving, she moved closer to him hoping to introduce herself, leaving you alone in the crowd and giving you a new escape route. You quickly ducked behind one of the Prince's carts climbing inside and shutting the door when you heard Holly's voice calling for you. You had planned to jump out and scare her but as you went to push open the door again, you found it to be locked. And then you felt the movement of the cart, sending you stumbling to the wooden floor, you head smacking against the hard wood and feeling the world go out of focus as you fell out of consciousness.

When you woke, you found that it was light, and as you sat up you reached for the back of your head, feeling the lump that had formed. "Shit?" you uttered quietly to yourself, only stopping when you heard a hearty chuckle from behind you. 

"You're in Dorne," the voice murmured, drawing you attention to the man speaking, feeling your head spin as you looked at him, and pressing your hand to your forehead and you scrunched up your face in pain. "Don't move too much, it looks like you hit your head pretty hard," he told you as he moved closer to you, pressing a cold rag to your head as he moved your hand away. You finally noticed who was speaking with you and panicked.

"Prince Oberyn," you uttered softly, your lip trembling as you attempting to find anything sensible to say.

He smiled slightly, watching as you began to panic. "What were you doing stowing away in my cart?" 

 "I was just trying to scare my friend and I got stuck. Please don't tell on me," you begged as tears pricked at your eyes, you were days from home and your parents would be worried sick. Holly would kill you for scaring her like this.

"Do not worry, it was an honest mistake," he reassured as he knelt in front of you. "Can you tell me your name?" he asked you as he looked up into your face.

"I'm Y/N," you told him as you wiped away the tears that had pooled under your eyes. "Am I in trouble?" you finally asked him and he let out a little chuckle as he smiled up at you.

"No, you aren't. But I suggest you write to your parents if you don't want to be when you get home," he told you with a soft smile as he passed you some parchment and a pen which were sitting on the desk behind him. "I would be at my wits end if one of my girls went missing like this," he added before straightening up and moving to sit away from you so that you could write in peace.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x