One ➸ Beginnings

This chapter is dedicated to CosmicGraphics. She's my biggest supporter for writing, and made me believe that Why We Sank was worth posting! I love her to death, not only for her loyal friendship, but also for her hilarious sense of humour, her talent as a graphic designer, musician, and writer, her remarkable kindness, her imagination, and all the positivity that just illuminates from within her.  Thank you, Rusul! <3

------------------------ 

"Next! Prisoner 38956." The heavy set guard yelled into an intercom, while two younger, more athletic looking guards stood watching. They looked over the crowd warily, ready to move if anything should happen. It wasn't hard to tell the hardened criminals from the newbies; and they paid greater attention to these ones.

"I do have a name you realize." The prisoner, a tall girl in her late teens, rolled her electric green eyes. "And it's kind of rude of you not to use it when speaking to me."

"We do not have time for this, Miss. Enter through the security scanner now!" The guard to the left barked. A few prisoners snickered at the girl's bold outburst. No one talks back.

"Paradox," the girl said fiercely. "My name is Paradox. Use it."

"38956, do as you are asked!" The guard was getting annoyed, tapping his calloused fingers against his leg.

"Do what we're asked?" The girl standing behind Paradox said bitterly, hate filling her ice blue eyes. "Look where that landed me."

The guards shoved the prisoners through the scan and moved onto the next. The two girls, handcuffed and wearing bright orange jumpsuits, were escorted through the hull of the massive prison ship. They were led to a room where their things —all that they were allowed to take, that is— were kept.

"You will be sharing this room with eight other people, so that is ten in all." The guard explained, taking off their handcuffs.

"Wow, fantastic job! You correctly added eight plus two! Gold star for you buddy," Paradox said sarcastically at him, while playing nervously with her long, dark brown hair. Her snippy comments helped to calm her down.

"Enjoy your stay," the guard mumbled sarcastically while pushing them into the room. He then pulled across the bars and locked them.

"Thanks, I'll try!" She called after him.

"Paradox, why do you have to be so difficult? We're going to have a hard time here as is." The other girl sighed.

"I'm not being difficult, Aurora. I'm being—"

"Difficult," a strange voice said.

The two turn around to find three sets of eyes staring back at them. "Ah, roommates..." Aurora said, sounding less than pleased. She was not a people person.

"Nice hair, dimples," a dirty-blonde haired boy smirked at Aurora.

Looking down at her colourful hair, which was naturally black but had been dyed to a black into turquoise ombre, Aurora rolled her eyes. "I know it is."

"That was sarcasm, dimples." Another smirk from the undeniably attractive boy.

"I have dimples, but it isn't my name. I'm Aurora. This is Paradox." She gestured to her best friend.

"I'm Warren." He replied, the smirk gone.

"And who are you two?" Paradox spoke up once again, looking at the two black haired teenage boys behind Warren.