Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Ugh. My heading is killing me. What the hell happened last night? Where am I? Did Nathan bring me home?

I groaned and pushed the plush pillow off my face before forcing myself up. My head felt like it weighed a ton of bricks and getting off the bed didn’t go as well as I’d hoped. I quickly lost my balance as soon as my feet hit the floor and grabbed on to the first thing my hands could touch.

I steadied myself on the nightstand and for a few brief seconds before trying to walk again. I was relieved when I finally made it to my in room bathroom and closed the door behind me. Within seconds of my confinement I took a speedy drive down the porcelain highway with my hung over the toilet.

My breath was ragged and labored and my stomach hurt from the heaves. Not to mentioned my raging headache that was becoming increasingly worse. It was my solemn vow that from this day forward I would never drink so much ever again. It just wasn’t worth the consequences that came after the night of fun.

When I felt confident it was safe to remove myself from the bathroom floor I pushed myself up and faced the sink.

The cool water refreshed me after being splashed over my face. It gave me a cold awakening and much needed awakening.

“I see you’re up,” Nathan said.

I turned to face his voice in the doorway and nodded at him. “Yeah. I’m still drawing a few blanks about last night though. Fill me in?”

He stepped further inside the room and sighed.  “You weren’t yourself.”

His voice sounded like he was sending me a warning, but I had to know the truth. I needed to know exactly how much I had embarrassed myself.

“I want to know,” I insisted. “I can handle it.”

He stood in his strait, professional and serous stance and crossed his arms over his chest. His blue eyes bored into mine. I felt like an errant child about to be lectured for something I didn’t know I had done.

“You hit on the bar tender, danced inappropriately with a random stranger and asked me to kiss you. I don’t think those things would have happened if you had not drunk so much.”

My eyes widened in utter surprise at his confession and I couldn’t bear to look at him any longer without the guilt and embarrassment. I turned my head away from him.

“I…I don’t know what to say,” I admitted. “That doesn’t sound like me.”

“No. It doesn’t.”

I walked to my closet, still keeping my eyes off of Nathan, and pulled a top and pair of jeans out, my comfort clothes. I had no intentions of going out today as I’m sure I’d be nursing a hangover throughout most of the day.

I closed the closet door behind me, confining myself to the small room and slipped into my clothes. When I stepped out Nathan was there waiting for me still sporting his serious composure.

“Don’t look at me that way, Okay? I know you’re disappointed. You’re not so great at hiding it.”

He looked down at his crossed arms and straightened them out while clearing his throat. “I’m not disappointed, Peyton. I’m confused. As much a people claim that they have no control over their actions when they drink I believe differently. They act on things that they are normally inhibited by, things they don’t normally have the courage to do.”

I furrowed my eyebrows up at him and frowned. “What are you trying to say, Nathan? That I have some desire deep inside of me to kiss you?”

“I don’t know. You tell me.”