chapter 8

The baby was quiet. Aelin slowly made her way to her feet. The baby. Her baby. Caleb. She was insanely happy for the baby, really. It reminded her of Rowan. Caleb drove away her need for revenge and now she just wanted to raise him. She wanted to tell him all about his father. She wanted to be there for him, not let a single thing in this world hurt him. She gave Caleb a tired smile, even though he was asleep, when the wall behind her erupted in the shape of a smoke door way. Dorian stood on the other end, gesturing for her to come. Aelin picked up caleb and stepped through the door.

Dorian, Rhys, Feyre, Amren, Cassian, Mor, and Azriel stared at the baby.

"I know, I know, its dangerous but he was just born hours ago. I cant just leave him," she said, Dorian helping her to a seat. Slowly all of them, even Amren, smiled softly. The baby was a sign of hope. They all needed a sign of good tidings. Aelin just needed a reminder of Rowan. Slowly the baby was passed from arm to arm while Aelin assessed her appearance. Her hair was knotted and tied. Her expression plainly obviously tired. And she was wearing old clothes. Now, she looked at Rhys and Feyre, standing a bit too close as feyre held Caleb between them.

"They're mates," Dorian said, crouching by her.

"Oh," she couldn't think of another response.

"Alright, you softies. We have a mission to assassinate the king," Cassien said, flopping down on the couch next to Aelin.

"We will not talk about killing in front of my child," she glared at the winged warrior. "And my only mission right now is a hot bath and a banquet for one."

"Besides, we're not killing anyone. We're just disagreeing with the king's ideas and if he doesnt want to peacefully step down... then we'll..." Dorian started and trailed off.

"Kill him? I've got about a few dozen different ways, each more fun than the last." Amren said. No one could tell if she was joking or was a sadist. But really, they were in a room full of assassins, spies, warriors, and soldiers. Oh, and Dorian.

"Lets put that on pause.." Rhysand said, sitting down with the baby still on his lap. Rhys was genuinely happy for the baby.

"uh oh, Aelin you've gave him the idea," Feyre said, laughing. Aelin's brow's furrowed.

"I'm sorry, I don't think i've ever seen you laugh until now."

Feyre flushed a little, looking away. "Yeah, i know. We're working on the uptightness," Rhys answered for her. "Aren't we? Yes we are," Rhys cooed to the awakening baby.

Caleb didnt cry.

"Anyway, have we got both pieces of the book?" Aelin asked, rolling her eyes at rhys.

"Yes we do- yes we do," Rhys continued to coo to the baby until Feyre flicked his pointed ear. "I mean," he cleared his throat, looking solemn, "yes we did. The queens seem kind of odd. What does it mean that the sixth one wasnt ill?"

Aelin and Dorian didnt know what was going on so they just watched patiently.
"It means the 6th queen wasn't Ill, smart ass," cassian said, rolling his eyes.
"Hold the baby, feyre," Rhys said, death emitting from his eyes.
"Okay, okay," peacekeeper Dorian interrupted. "What's the plan? Are we just going to march in there swords blazing?"
"Well, yes," Aelin said, looking mildly amused.
"Feyre is going to sneak in with Mor first, try to read off the spell, for the cauldron. And we'll be around, for back up," Rhys said.
"It's not going to be that simple, is it?" Aelin asked. Rhys didn't have to answer. No one knew what the king had in store. But no one was backing out. If the woman who just lost her husband and gave birth can do this, then they can fight for their home too.
-
Nothing was simple. The king was expecting them. All of them. Now, it was the gang facing tamlin, Lucien, the five queens, feyres sisters, the king and the cauldron.
"Leave her alone!" One sister, nesta, said when they tried to drag off her sister.
"Oh, dear. I'm just going to prove to the queens it's perfectly safe. I already demonstrated the cauldron was capable of resurrection twice-"
"Twice?" Mor asked. "Jurian and who?" She demanded.
The king smiled, giddy. He looked at Aelin. "Oh, Rowan, can you come out here?"
And Rowan stepped out next to the king.
And then he nocked an arrow pointing towards AELINs heart.
-
Dorian was definitely surprised. But also confused. Why was no one using their powers? Why were they all watching as Nesta and Elaine get dragged through the mystical waters of the cauldron.
When feyre started glowing and fell to the floor, he was about ready to make a list of everything he didn't understand.
"Tamlin.." Feyre looked up at the enemy. "Tamlin.. Help me.. Break the bond.. Please.. I'm free.. I broke free.." She stumbled to her feet, going over to their side. Rhysand put his hands in his pocket, playing along, Dorian realized.
"Oh, tell me how you managed that," rhysand purred.
"Okay, enough of this drama show," Aelin said, lighting her hand on fire.
The king was taken back.
"Break the bond!" Feyre screamed at the king as he got up, his focus now on Aelin. Dorian was the only one that noticed Rowan let go of the arrow aimed at Aelin. Sprinting, he tackled her, thankful neither of them were hurt. But someone screamed. Looking up, he saw Feyre. Looking the other way, he saw Rhys.