24. Damon's Fault

I climbed out of the shower and dried myself off. Ok, the pain in my shoulder was almost gone. It must be healing, although it did look... blacker. I went into the bedroom and threw on a vest top, black jeans and runners. I grabbed my phone and dialled Caroline; it went straight to her voicemail.

"Hey Care; I just wanted to ask your opinion on something. One of the Hybrids bit me and it doesn't hurt but it doesn't look good. I was just wondering if you know how long it'll take to heal. Ring me back when you get this. Thanks."

I hung up the phone and sat there for a moment. I fought off a yawn, I hadn't realised how tired I was. I lay back down on the bed and fell asleep instantly.

Third Person POV:

Damon's car pulled up outside the boarding house. Stefan was quiet in the passenger seat beside him while Caroline talked to her mother on her phone in the back. He was just glad to be home, his bed was calling to him. He looked at the clock on the dash and sighed. It was only just gone midnight, on a weekend, and he wanted to go to bed. He really felt his age tonight.

The three of them climbed out and headed inside. Caroline finally hung up the phone from her mother for which Damon was slightly relieved. He felt like she had been talking for hours. As he opened the front door he heard Caroline tell Stefan that she had a voicemail from Jennifer.

Damon froze, sniffing the air. Blood, he could smell blood and a lot of it. Using his speed he followed the smell to the basement. The fridge where they stored the blood bags was open, and countless empty bags lay around it. Something wasn't right here. He turned to head back up and saw Stefan standing behind him, Stefan's eyes were glued to the blood spilled on the ground, his eyes started to change. Damon just grabbed him by the arm and they both ran back to Caroline. She was in the sitting room staring at her phone. She raised her eyes to meet Damon's.

Damon was immediately standing in front of her, "What is it? What's wrong?" he demanded.

Her voice came out choked. "It's Jennifer. She wanted to know how long did it take a bite from a hybrid to heal properly, apparently she got bit during the fight." As she finished the sentence tears started flowing down her face, but Damon and Stefan ignored that and they all ran to Jennifer's room. As they entered they slowed down, the bed had been destroyed. The mirrors in the room shattered and there were holes in the walls. In the middle of the room, among the debris Stefan noticed a frame. He picked it up shaking the broken glass out of the way. Three pair of eyes looked down at the picture of Jennifer and her parents.

"We have to find her, before someone on the council does. Or before she does something she'll regret." Caroline was already on her way out, she had to find her friend. If anything happened... Caroline thought about Jennifer, about all she had been through. About what she could be going through right now?

Damon and Stefan didn't need to be told twice, they followed the normally bubbly blonde vampire outside. Caroline turned to Stefan and Damon,

"I'm going to check at her parents' house. I'll ring my mom on the way; get her to keep an eye out. One of you go check out the town, Damon you do that."

Damon took off running, they would be faster without their cars right now and they couldn't waste a second. Caroline spoke quickly to Stefan, "I'm sorry Stefan, but you're going to have to go to Klaus. Do whatever he wants short of giving him Elena; tell him I'll do whatever he wants either. Just get us his blood."

With a doubtful look on his face Stefan took off in the direction of Klaus's mansion and Caroline took off in the opposite direction, towards Jennifer's.

----------------

Matt and Jeremy were both sitting on stools at the Grille, the place was pretty quiet with only one other customer and the bar man still here. They were talking about all the crap that was going on in their lives when the door flung open. All eyes turned towards the newcomer. Jeremy and Matt jumped from their stools.