Chapter Twenty Two

Walking into school that morning was difficult because I was doing it alone. All of the gang had early morning clubs. All of them except for Astrid. I had no idea what she was doing. She didn't answer my calls nor did she answer my texts.

From then on she didn't arrive for the first three lessons of the day and by the fourth, I was starting to get worried. I tried ringing her phone numerous times but to no avail.

Never had I left the classroom of fourth lesson so fast when the bell rang. Ignoring my friends as they stared after me with wide eyes, I ran to the field, pulling my phone out as I did so.

After a few minutes I stopped and unlocked my phone. Finding Astrid's number I called it. It went straight to the voice mail. Again. However, this time, I left a message.

"Hey, Astrid it's me. Please call me as soon as you get this. I'm getting worried ... " I trailed off with a sigh before continuing. "You've been absent from school for the whole day nearly. Just ... just call me, okay? I love you Astrid." I ended it.

It annoyed me slightly. Why didn't she call me? And where was Ryan? I hadn't seen him all day either. What was going on?

Later in the day, I was sat in my English class at the back, nervously bouncing in my seat as I checked my phone multiple times under the desk. We had a substitute teacher today so it was fine. Hopefully anyway.

And that's when the brother of my girlfriend barged through the door. I looked up in shock to see Ryan scanned the classroom. I saw his clothes were torn and he had multiple cuts all over his body. He eyes landed on me.

"Harry!" He gasped, wrapping one arm around his midsection.

No. No.

"What happened?" I demanded. I stood up and glared at Ryan. "What happened?" I demanded, louder this time.

The two words I hoped I wouldn't hear came out of his mouth. "It's Astrid."

My fists clenched so tightly I could feel blood rushing out my palms. "I should have been with her," I hissed.

"Mr Haddock!" The teacher called. "I need you to sit down so I can continue my lesson!" I ignored him. "Haddock!"

"What?!" I exclaimed, my fumes breaking. "I don't care about your stupid lesson! I am leaving."

"No you are not! Sit down now!"

A low growl escaped my throat. "Make me."

"Harry ... " Ryan warned.

The substitute rushed to pick up the handheld phone but I got there first. "Give me that!" He ordered, swiping for it.

I shrugged, using my bare hands to snap it in half with ease. I dropped the remnants of the phone in front of him, on the desk. "There's your phone."

"That was your final warning Haddock! You just received a week's worth of detentions."

My eye twitched. I turned to Ryan to distract myself. "What happened to her?"

Ryan gestured to the door. "I'll tell you on the way."

"No," I growled. "Tell me now."

Ryan sighed. "She was surprised ... by a pack of rogues. She couldn't fight back. She wasn't ready. They cornered her. But then I got to her. Me and a few others chased the rogues off. When I got back to her, she wasn't looking good."

My breathing became shallow as I inhaled. I stumbled backwards, gripping the desk for support. "What - what about n-now?" I stammered.

"She's stable," Ryan said quickly. "By the time we get there she'll be fully healed. We have to leave now."

I ran out before he even finished talking. Halfway through the school grounds, I Changed, running at full speed onto the field and jumping over the fence.

With determination, I pounded my way across the land, heading straight for the hospital.

If she wasn't okay, I'd kill whoever was behind this attack. They would pay.

No wonder she didn't answer her phone ...