Chapter Six

Thanks to stelliferous- for the amazing banner!

I feel the warm sunshine on my face and my eyes flutter open. Stretching my arms out, I look out the window. Marcy probably opened the curtains after she woke up.

Laying back down, I take in the room that I'm in. I was so tired yesterday that I didn't even look around before I fell asleep.

The walls are made of a dark colored wood and the floor is gray cement. One wall is completely covered by a bookshelf. On the same wall as my bed there is a dresser, a mirror, and a desk. Next to my bed there is a small table with a book on it.

Thinking back to yesterday, I feel regret as I think about how I killed that guard. He was only following orders, I could've tried to talk him out of it. I snort at my thoughts, I doubt that I could've changed his mind. Sitting up, I watch Marcy come into the room.

She is holding a wooden tray in her hands that is piled high with food. Plopping the tray onto the bedside table, she pulls a chair into the room. Marcy sits down next to the bed and hands me a plate.

Digging into the food, I see a biscuit, some eggs, a muffin, and a bunch of fruit. I pick out an apple and begin to munch on it.

"Did you sleep well?" Marcy asks me.

"I did. This bed is very comfortable, what is it made of?" I reply. Literally, this bed is softer that a woolen sweater!

"The fabric is made of cotton and it is stuffed with mint leaves and wool. Handmade, of course." Gawking at her, I think about everything that she can do. She can build a house, cook and clean, keep a tidy garden, take care of animals, make furniture, and be a witch. She's amazing! I would never be able to do that much!

"Why, thank you."

"Seriously? Stop with the mind reading!" I shout out as she giggles.

Once we finish eating, Marcy takes the trays and I head over to the dresser. Grimacing, I realize that my only options are a blouse and skirt or a dress. My hands reach for a white blouse and a black skirt. I don't wear dresses, only nightgowns.

Once I'm dressed and my hair is brushed, I turn to look in the mirror. My fingers reach up to touch my curly, red locks and the girl in the mirror mimics me. Letting out a quiet sigh, I turn away from my reflection.

Heading out to the main room, I spot Marcy in the corner of the room. She is sitting on a small chair, reading a book.

"Hey, can I ask you some questions?" I ask her.

"Of course Haven, ask away." Marcy replies, setting down her book. I sit down across from her and pull out my first question.

"Have you met a dragon before?" I've been thinking about this for a while. I mean, she's a witch, so she probably sees other species all the time.

"Ah yes, I've met quite a few. I have seen a lot more than I have met though." She gives me a small smile and motions for me to continue asking questions.

"What other species have you met?" I fidget as I say species. I'm not sure if she would be offended, she isn't human after all. I don't know everything about non-human feelings!

"Hmm, I've met other witches, fairies, mermaids and mermen, and vampires if that's what you mean." She says. Wait, vampires actually exist? I know I shouldn't be surprised, but still, that's a little scary.

"Do you have any family?"

Marcy's head droops. "No. I do not." My eyes widen. I shouldn't have asked that. I wasn't paying attention to what I was saying, words were just flowing out of my mouth.

"I'm so sorry Marcy, I didn't mean to-"

"It's alright. I just, ugh, it's hard to explain. I guess I used to have a family, then they died. I should be used to it though. I've seen so many people die. That's what happens when you are cursed with immortality." She sighs, her nostrils flaring out as she finishes.

"I-I..." Words try to come out of my mouth. It's not everyday that you meet an immortal.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. Let's continue." Marcy apologizes. Alrighty then, I guess immortality is a sensitive subject for her.

"Have you, um," I hesitate before finishing my question, "Seen my dragon before?" I suck in a breath as I wait for her to answer. I have no as to why I'm so nervous, I guess it's just because it's my dragon that we are talking about here.

"Yes! He is very kind, most of the time. He isn't very patient though, that's for sure. He has a very short fuse. The other dragons are usually attempting to calm him down. Water dragons fare better when they are calming him down." I can tell that she could go on about this for hours, so I cut her off.

"Could you, perhaps, tell me what he looks like?" I say. Geesh, she can't take a hint! Seriously, who needs to know that kind of stuff?

"Right. Well, he has red scales. Some scales are dark red, others are bright red or black. The color surrounding his pupil is yellow, but when he is mad, his entire eye is yellow. Pupil and everything. When he is really, really mad, more than infuriated, lava pools in his eyes and it spills out, kind of like tears." I smile at her description. It sounds like he looks exactly like how he does in my dreams.

"How can I get to him?"

"Well," Marcy says,pulling out a large book, "It's quite complicated." The book lets out a loud thud as it hits the table.

My eyes, as wide as saucers, stare at the book before me. "I can see that."

Marcy mumbles some words under her breath and the book opens. The pages flip on their own for a few minutes, then stop as soon as a map is seen.

Woah.

Marcy points to a place on the map that is all green. "This is where we are, in the woods." She drags her finger to the opposite corner of the map. "That is where you want to go, up to the mountains." Her fingers make a curvy line on the brittle paper as she says more words. "You have to go through the woods, over the river, pass a few volcanoes, and into the mountains. This journey will take a month or two, depending on if you have any disturbances."

"Such as?" I ask her.

"Loss of food, being seen by a guard, getting hurt, and so on and so forth." Geesh, maybe I should've stayed with my family instead. Marcy closes the book and puts it back on the shelf. Then, my world was engulfed in darkness.
---
My eyes open and I see that I'm near a pond. Smiling, I run into the water. Not too long after, I feel myself being weighed down. I begin to gasp for air as I sink further and further underwater.

All of the sudden, I feel something grab onto my shoulders and I am lifted out of the water. I dry instantaneously and I am placed back onto dry ground. Looking up, I realize that my dragon had saved me. I grin at him and the image fades away.
---
"Haven! Are you okay?" Marcy is frantically looking at me as I get up off the floor.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just had a dream, or vision, or something." I shrug.

"What was it about?" She asks.

"My dragon."

"I see. Well, we have chores to do. Let's go, we're starting in the garden!" She says cheerily. Marcy pulls me outside and we begin today's work.

GUYSSS IT MY BIRTHDAY! I HAVE SURVIVED TO BE 13 YEARS OLD!!! (April 7, 2017)

I feel so proud of myself! This chapter was 1330 words! I'm improving a lot. Thanks for all of the support.

Sorry about the super late update. School has been really stressful, and all the homework and schedule changing has been really bothersome. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Remember to comment, vote, and follow me!

QOTC: What country do you live in?
AOTC: I live in the U.S.A.