3rd ♕

3rd

I took a sip from the cup of water that I had courteously asked from that dude behind the counter, after I'd bought a plastic of candles and a lighter. Mom no. 2 and I weren't able to pay on time, so the electric company gave us an opportunity to bond with the darkness.

"Did you hear about Love?" a squeaky voice penetrated my awareness. Redoing my bun, I gathered my hair and twisted it in place, keeping it together with a black ponytail. I pretended that I was busy with the cup of water I was holding. I never liked gossip, but I was too tired to repel it from entering my consciousness.

"Oh, my gosh. I was about to tell you that. I couldn't believe it," another squirmy voice answered.

A group of three girls was sitting right across the other side of the convenience store. I could see their reflection in the mirror beside me. The store was narrow enough to let everyone hear what they were talking about. There were only the counter dude and I, though. And counter dude was busy keeping his eyes open. He must have had a long night, and he didn't seem to be eavesdropping like I was.

"Love is feeling so down ever since their break-up," blond girl said.

This was one of my reasons why I had never been more satisfied with how my life went on from that day that my old friends had called it quits with me and left the usual spots they used to occupy in my life. It seriously wasn't that bad. There were obligatorily gossips that I had to share and know. No need for constant updates. Before going to sleep, I didn't have to bother calling each of them and complain how bad my day went, or go in details how I wasn't able to find a part-time job for three days now. Even my phone could last for days without being charged.

It was very convenient.

"After three strong years, they called it quits. She was crying the other day. I couldn't help but to cry, too. They were so good together," the other blond girl, but one whose hair was of a lighter color, added.

No best friend's boyfriend to worry about, either.

"I told you that it was him. I saw them in the mall last week," the one with a shorter stance—contrary to the other two who were model-tall—said.

"But Love wants to get him back more than anything. I know he's sorry, too. They're trying to work it out," darker blond girl replied.

Blah.

If he were sorry, he wouldn't even dare to sneak up behind her back in the first place.

I still didn't know why I was even listening, and why I was getting caught up with their story. This kind of feeling made me feel like I was living life in so much denial. Maybe I secretly loved hearing other people's conversation. This was what you'd get when you were used to having no one to talk to. You'd easily find yourself hearing out other people's conversations, because your mind was devoid of things to do.

Or so.

I ended up deciding to hear two or three more sentences before going along with my own life—the life that I had to find a way to live by. If I would leave in the middle of this eavesdropping, I would only end up thinking about what came next.

"I'll talk to him. He's good friends with Jeric," said shorty. "They'll work this out, as long as he'll promise that he'll never do it again."

I wanted to laugh. That was hardly any promise, at all. People had the tendency to do things out of habit. You needed a lot more than frivolous motivation in order to change. Robin would definitely need more than what he was capable of.

Shaking my head, I reminded myself that I should stop thinking about Robin. I promised myself three years ago that I would not care about him anymore.